🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why a confirmation on "mark all topics read"?

Started by
6 comments, last by LennyLen 6 years, 10 months ago

We seem to have a confirmation box on the "mark all topics read" link since some short time. A box pops up and asks "do you want all topics marked read?".

What's the purpose of this? Do we really need this silly stuff? I just clicked the link saying the exact same thing!

Advertisement

Presumably in case of accidental clicks (I personally like it).

I quite hate these silly

"If you press yes, the computer will forget about the posts you have not read yet. This may cause confusion if new posts are added at a later date that respond to the posts you have not read."

nonsense that nobody ever reads, and just presses "ok" a second time.

I find it annoying enough that I have started using the button in the overview.

It's quite a common UI pattern to ask for confirmation before carrying out an irreversible action, in case the button was clicked/pressed by accident.

Given noone else seems to have an issue with this particular confirmation, I'm afraid you'll probably just have to live with this one sorry!

Thanks for the feedback!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Fair enough :)

On 8/13/2017 at 10:01 AM, jbadams said:

Given noone else seems to have an issue with this particular confirmation, I'm afraid you'll probably just have to live with this one sorry!

To be honest, it annoys the hell out of me as well, though I do understand the reasoning behind it.  What would be nice, though probably not feasible, is a setting that can be turned on or off which disables such confirmations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement