🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Character Progression Systems

Started by
4 comments, last by Kylotan 6 years, 10 months ago

Right now I'm designing a fantasy tactical turn based game. Originally the game was inspired by Vandal Hearts ( for reference see

" rel="external">
).

As it was inspired by Vandal Hearts I currently have the class and unit progression using points (damage, for example is the [ unit's Phys.Att. + weapon Phys.Att ] - [ defender's Phys.Def + defender's armor Phys.Def ] = base damage (minimum damage is 0) + 1-6; it has a rock-paper-scissors type class superiority ring.

The challenge I'm facing is this is extremely difficult for me to balance.

I've been considering the possibility of changing the character progression system to something along the lines where level/rank unlocks class tree abilities (sort of like a mix of WoW skill trees and X-COM) -- and then having weapons do base damage with variable damage like from Terror from the Deep (damage * (0.5 .. 1.5)); I would like to keep the rock-paper-scissors balance where skills chosen determine the unit's class and access to weapons. -- you know writing it down makes it sound more similar to the modern XCOM system.

I've already redone spells so that they are more like the modern XCOM's abilities with cooldowns and limited uses per combat session.

Any suggestions and/or tips would greatly be appreciated! Is the Vandal Hearts point type system a sacred cow or is a more XCOM-ish system workable and fun for a fantasy tactics game? Please reply in-thread as I have it set to receive notifications.

Thanks!

Advertisement
5 hours ago, greentiger said:

That's why you make the game(-engine) first and when the game is playable you start testplaying.

There is no real purpose in balancing out the game before making it.

5 hours ago, greentiger said:

Why? What's the actual problem you have?

The formula, as you state it, is a simple 'interval' based formula. You can add the same value to both sides and the outcome remains constant - so as long as your characters progress in an 'additive' way, balance is fairly straightforward.

8 hours ago, Kylotan said:

Why? What's the actual problem you have?

The formula, as you state it, is a simple 'interval' based formula. You can add the same value to both sides and the outcome remains constant - so as long as your characters progress in an 'additive' way, balance is fairly straightforward.

Well I guess the real problem is I have doubts about my ability to balance the systems and making it fun. I liked XCOM's straightforward system that made predicting probable outcomes in combat easier. That is appealing to me. So I guess what I'm wondering is: is the "interval" system is a TTBS "sacred cow" or not? Would XCOM's system be fun in a fantasy setting?

I don't think there are any sacred cows. I've never played Vandal Hearts and never met anyone else who did, but I've played many other tactics and strategy games for many years. You can use whatever system you like, but if you copy one from elsewhere, you solve some problems (by adopting a system that obviously seems to work) and create new problems (in that you have a system that you didn't balance yourself and may not fully understand).

As for 'would XCOM's system be fun in a fantasy game' - why not? The setting and the rules have virtually no effect on each other. XCOM (and X-Com) is based on an older game called Laser Squad, which had a fantasy-setting parallel called Lords of Chaos. The way combat was resolved was mostly the same.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement