🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

seeing ads since site upgrade

Started by
5 comments, last by khawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi,

I was under the impression that GDNet+ got rid of all the ads (it did for me previously). I am now seeing various ads, the biggest niggle for me is the 'affiliate inserted links' (please see attached screenshot).

Is this by design, how do i stop these ads as GDNet+? Also i can't seem to use images or even any links in my signature any more. I don't seem to get the same bang for my buck that i used to?

Thanks!

ad.png

Here are some more ads that i'm seeing on this very page; there's two google adsense, and an amazon ad.

ad1.png

Advertisement

Just to briefly update anyone following along at home, @khawk has been communicating with @Brain privately to work through resolving this issue, and is making good progress with it. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

@Brain Just pushed an update that appears to be "the fix" after confirming through multiple GDNet+ accounts. Let me know if you see anything you don't expect.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Hi,

Unfortunately hasn't fixed it for me. I currently see ads for confused.com (car insurance) above and below the forum content, Amazon books on the right hand panel, a big green and yellow ad for jetbrains, an ad for RX RAD Studio, and on mobile, full screen mobile ads that i have to dismiss to advance to a forum each time i log in.

Have tried logging on and off.

Let me know if you need me to do any diagnosis on my end! :-)

Well, the anti-ad-blocker prompt doesn't seem to be harassing me anymore if I'm logged in and turn on UBlock, so that's something.

I'm happy to pay for a membership here, and I want the site to make enough money to be viable, but the layout really gets to be a mess when you've got all those ad-units cluttering up stuff, animating themselves, not sizing to their containers correctly the way AdSense ads always do, and bumping the real content of the site down the page - particularly since the main reason I come here, the forums, is buried at the absolute bottom.

It's probably a PITA with the site software, but being able to show/hide or rearrange the panels on the home page would be a nice perk of having a membership.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

1 hour ago, Brain said:

Unfortunately hasn't fixed it for me.

I did a cache reset (on the site) a few minutes ago and confirmed it's working with a few accounts - including yours. Looks like overnight maintenance somehow reset to old logic. As I've told others, we may need to give it a few days to confirm the nightly maintenance shakes out. If it's still happening at that point then I have a few other options to force it.

25 minutes ago, ericrrichards22 said:

being able to show/hide or rearrange the panels on the home page would be a nice perk of having a membership.

Would be cool. There's a few ideas floating around along similar lines, but it'll be some time before it can get implemented.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement