🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

all my articles are broken and can't be fixed :(

Started by
6 comments, last by jbadams 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi,

I spent a long time creating articles and it seems that since the site upgrade theyre quite fundamentally broken.

For example take a look at this one:

The images are broken links, and the lists are continually indenting. I tried to fix the indenting, but i received an error:

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX0

What's more, i seem to have no ability to reference an image in my article, either from my gallery or otherwise.

What gives, will there be a fix? It makes me very sad to see my contributions broken like this :(

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Advertisement

These problems aren't happening with all articles, so we're fixing them on a case-by-case basis as they are reported. I'll look at it now.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Also, for awareness, problems like these are due to improper formatting in the articles. In this case the indentation is caused by not closing the <ul> tags between each header, so the formatting is setup where the headers themselves are more lists. These are the kinds of edge cases our conversion software couldn't pick up easily, especially with so many articles being formatted so many different ways, and unfortunately we have to spend time addressing them manually.

The reason for the error you're getting is likely due to the software not finding the gallery image that was being linked (directly linked instead of as an attachment - and the URL no longer exists). Also a problem with inconsistency in how images were being referenced across the articles. All fixable.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This is fixed, but the article image isn't on the server. It might be in the backup. You should be able to upload one, or we can load up the backup datastore to try to find it.

Also, please let us know if you have more problems in the articles. We're slowly working our way through them, but it's a slow process.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Thanks very much!

For future reference this isn't something i can fix myself is it to save you time?

I did try but got hit with the error EX0 screen...

It depends on the problem. One thing to look for on a busted article is whether the feature image shows in the form (toward the bottom of the form). If it doesn't or shows 0 bytes, then it needs to be deleted and re-uploaded. In this case since I don't have the image I just deleted it.

Otherwise you'll get that error - so removing the image might have been a workaround for you in this case.

Admin for GameDev.net.

You can also ping me for help with broken articles - I'm slowly working through our archives looking for broken content that needs fixing.

Most of the problems are:

- The featured image error Khawk mentioned. For older articles I save a copy of the image before editing so that I can upload it again.

- Missing newlines. This unfortunately just needs to be fixed by hand, which can be fiddly. Easier if you have a copy somewhere else of the original formatting - some of our content can be found in Wayback Machine.

- The indentation problem you noticed. Seems to mostly occur in articles containing nested lists, but occasionally others. Again, needs to be fixed by hand, but it's usually very obvious what the correct formatting should be.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement