🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Character ideas for my fighting game

Started by
15 comments, last by Stryder1234 6 years, 7 months ago
8 hours ago, Stryder1234 said:

So what you mean is list my character ideas down then the movies and try to connect each character to that type of movie narrative backstory? I appreciate your help, thanks.

Yeah. If you give a character trope a narrative, then it'll be easier to figure out what they're fighting style would be. You can use existing movies as narrative examples, or come up with your own, or a mix of the both. :)

My Website and Bandcamp for music.

Advertisement
On November 10, 2017 at 8:25 AM, MichaelElmquist said:

Yeah. If you give a character trope a narrative, then it'll be easier to figure out what they're fighting style would be. You can use existing movies as narrative examples, or come up with your own, or a mix of the both.

Thanks for your help, that does sound good. I actually had an idea for a chainsaw wielding character, maybe I can connect him and the clown story wise together? Some of my characters may sound a little exaggerated and silly like a snowman and scarecrow. I was thinking of maybe changing the snowman to another ice themed character so it could be taken more serious, do you know movies that are good for inspiration?

Thanks again for the advice.

It will be best if you take the aspiration of true martial arts. You can find a lot of crates about it, there are even documents like "martial arts anatomy" - where also the topic of guns was raised. I like the method of fighting Karambit Rocket LEague crates for buy like MMA and martial arts for sell. Where to buy Rocket LEague Crates? THere is ROcket League trade https://odealo.com/games/rocket-league

On November 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Rkozy said:

It will be best if you take the aspiration of true martial arts. You can find a lot of videos about it, there are even documents like "martial arts anatomy" - where also the topic of guns was raised. I like the method of fighting Karambit

That would be a good reference for me to look into. As long as the martial art style fits the characters I'm creating since a lot of my characters are basically bizarre horror tropes.

The fighting skills of a samurai is a good idea also.

6 hours ago, nigelrob said:

The fighting skills of a samurai is a good idea also.

That is a good idea. Although my plans were to keep my characters modernized, maybe a modern version could work. Unless I decide to fit a samurai story-wise from the past, that may be a possibility. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement