🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Balance between appealing graphics and easy asset creation

Started by
10 comments, last by katastrophic88 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm creating an online HTML5 game editor / gaming platform. http://openeditplay.com/ I want to make it possible to create games by drag n' dropping and changing some parameters. Currently the game editor supports convex shapes and particles as visuals. It's not quite enough to make appealing games. Could you help me find the visual style that could be generated by code and is appealing, but is not too hard to configure from parameters? Ideas, example games, images, ...anything is appreciated.

Creating game visuals should be as easy as it gets for the user. However, following conditions must be met:

- There should be some depth in what kind of moods can be created. All games must not look the same.

- Results should be so appealing that the editor (or gaming platform) will attract users.

Examples:

- It would be cool to create something a bit complex than this:

msu.jpg

- Too complex to generated by code:

K9KYIyBL9utAoXteZIu9reo15yTdJm7PS9uQ7ZIx

Also, if you would need to build a character and world using only lines, simple shapes, gradients, glow and shadow, would it be fun? Thank you so much.

- gilder

Advertisement

Who's your target audience and what is the goal of this project?

The second image should be doable in your game platform. Just let the user use image sprites. Offer a large bank of public domain images so the user can have nice visuals easily. I wouldn't worry that all games look the same. If the user wants his game to look different, then he can upload his own images.

Good question. Target is people who dislike the complexity and heaviness of game development (from installing tools to publishing). They could be retired game devs, gamers who want to make their first game, and prototype maker game devs.

The goal of this project is to discover one of following: 1) People want to use my service. 2) A bigger group or company took my idea and made it better. 3) Game devs rather use Unity or similar software to make games.

You have a point there. I imagined that it would be sweet to let users create games just by selecting components and parameters. It would keep the size of games small and wouldn't require any loading screens. But it's probably more fun to also use sprites.

Thanks for making me think this throught.

- gilder

Yeah , maybe add some kind of paint tool inside the engine, so players can create content within software

Yes, I agree. I Watched a video that demonstrates new Unity 2d world building features and got some inspiration. Bunch of Public Domain sprite assets and paint tools is the way to go. Thank you!

- gilder

I think this a great idea. Making game dev more accessible would allow a new range of voices to emerge from people who don't have the time or tools to dig into the complexity of game development on their own. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses! 

19 hours ago, katastrophic88 said:

I think this a great idea. Making game dev more accessible would allow a new range of voices to emerge from people who don't have the time or tools to dig into the complexity of game development on their own. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses! 

This could be awesome , but could make things worse(A lot of bad quality games being released), but I hope Engine devs will do awesome job

I’m glad to hear that you are interested!

Game filtering and reviewing will be one of the most important things when games start appearing. I hope I can nail it.

- gilder

On 12/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, zizulot said:

This could be awesome , but could make things worse(A lot of bad quality games being released), but I hope Engine devs will do awesome job

Yeah, I thought about that. There's a pro and a con to everything. But, optimist that I am, I'm hoping that some truly great voices emerge--loud enough to rise above the noise. :)

On 2017-12-13 at 6:36 AM, katastrophic88 said:

Yeah, I thought about that. There's a pro and a con to everything. But, optimist that I am, I'm hoping that some truly great voices emerge--loud enough to rise above the noise.

Well lets hope so , as much as I  want to believe in everything I see promising I always stay pesimistic about it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement