🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Reporting posts, long delay?

Started by
8 comments, last by Lactose 6 years, 5 months ago

When reporting a post, it seems to take quite a while to complete (per the progress/activity tracker thing that's visible). Maybe 5-10 seconds worth.

It didn't use to be like this under the old system, so wondering if this is as expected?

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement

Not necessarily expected, but it's not an area of concern. I believe that area of the software is effectively the same as the previous system.

If it seems slower it could be slow query performance when generating the report, network latency, or just bad timing with the random traffic spikes we have been getting from the script kids running their latest hax0r tools.

Admin for GameDev.net.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:19 PM, khawk said:

Not necessarily expected, but it's not an area of concern. I believe that area of the software is effectively the same as the previous system.

If it seems slower it could be slow query performance when generating the report, network latency, or just bad timing with the random traffic spikes we have been getting from the script kids running their latest hax0r tools.

Just to give some more detail, I should have noted I think this has been the case ever since we swapped over, not a recent or one-off thing. This would seem to rule out a few of the suggested reasons, at least.

A while back (a few months perhaps) I noticed several popups took more time. It was particularly bad on my tablet, with the notifications popup, the new mail popup, etc, taking several seconds to load on the device. 

On PC it usually isn't that long for me, perhaps 1-2 seconds to load the popups. Long enough to be notable, but not typically long enough to be burdensome to me.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:22 PM, frob said:

On PC it usually isn't that long for me, perhaps 1-2 seconds to load the popups.

Reporting a spam post today had the pop-up active for about 10 seconds. I have a very beefy PC.

Yes, watching the timings in Chrome I'm pretty sure it is something on the server side, or an oddity with the responses.  There is the first requests which stalls for about two seconds, when it finally finishes it triggers loading of 15 other resources, some with 302 redirects, and some of those potentially stalling. While I can use the panel after about two seconds, Chrome says it took 9 seconds before the last JavaScript-driven request was complete. 

I'm glad I'm not the one trying to address it, I understand changes to the board's software can be tricky, especially when they must be constantly integrated with software updates.

It might not be a priority to fix, but I thought I should at least give some more detail when I had it =)

I noticed some other slowness and made some adjustments to the server. Managed to drop CPU utilization about 50% along with reductions in bandwidth and disk usage - long story short things appear to be much more responsive across the board.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Just to follow-up, today I had a roughly 20 second long delay on reporting a post. Unless this was just an isolated case, whatever it is seems to be getting a lot worse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement