🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Struggling

Started by
7 comments, last by diligentcircle 6 years, 6 months ago

Can anyone tell me that how to ignore the ongoing teases from people about my career? I write games that are fully AAA standard but how can i get into the industry even when I am under 18? 

Struggling Game Designer.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Halixzed said:

Can anyone tell me that how to ignore the ongoing teases from people about my career?

Have you ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

In short: We often think we are better than we are and often the things we are really good at we think is average.

What I am saying is that if people are teasing you about being a game developer you haven't yet reached the point where your making AAA standard yet.

You should not quit or feel bad, just take this is a natural part of learning.

When working as a artist on AAA games your work has to be pier reviewed every step of the way; I don't know about programmers. Because it happens a lot that artists think they made something good when they haven't and often artist try to discard work that is actually good, because they thought it wasn't.

At least for artist the one thing we learn is that ignoring criticism is the worst thing you can do, instead you should mine it for every thing it's worth.

Next time some one teases your work ask them for details, it hurts but dam it feels so good when you improve.

Good luck.

Programmers need feedback, too. It's hard to notice if your code is an unreadable pile of garbage, and it can also be hard to notice that the game engine you developed has unworkable, frustrating physics.

23 hours ago, Halixzed said:

Can anyone tell me that how to ignore the ongoing teases from people about my career? I write games that are fully AAA standard but how can i get into the industry even when I am under 18? 

Those teases may be a result of your talking about your career aspirations a lot. Maybe a way to get fewer teases (I agree, they are hard to ignore) is to talk less about your career aspirations with those who are teasers.  

You can get involved in indie/hobby development now (check out the Hobby Project Classifieds board here - click the Careers tab atop this page), but getting hired by a triple-A company requires you getting a college degree and building up a body of work (and get some of your work in indie games and student games at least), which means you'll be older - in the traditional age range of game industry hirees. I wrote an article about the career of game writing at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson32.htm

10 hours ago, JulieMaru-chan said:

Programmers need feedback, too.

I'm guessing Halixzed is talking about writing, not coding (since this is the Writing forum) - but I could be wrong!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Right, my post was in response to Scouting Ninja (or rather, adding to it).

My society doesnt support me getting into this field. Currently  I am 16 and have high skills in Blender 3d. Parents and lot are insisting me on going to Medical field. They arent even happy and don't give some courage when i make some renders of the story i write at all times. Even when I make the PBR materials in the render to make it much realistic. But see Kojima-san for example, perhaps the location depends too. I live in Pakistan where guys like me try to get in this field and unfortunately they have to change their professional studies due to social pressure.

Struggling Game Designer.

Making games requires knowing everything, there is no topic, subject or skill that does not aid you in some way when making games.

After school when I had to learn English, math and physics to make games; still I have to hire others to proof read my text. You are still in a position where you get to learn these things for free, remind yourself that everything you learn is for your games.

23 minutes ago, Halixzed said:

have high skills in Blender 3d.

Working as a 3D artist in the industry is a hard job, there are millions of people who wake up each day and practice there 3D modeling before going to work. People who had spend 4 or more years doing nothing but learning 3D modeling each day.

To make it to the top you have to push yourself to the limits, talent can only get you so far.

If you want you can post some of your work and I can advise you on what to focus, if you want to be a 3D artist. Have you started learning topology and edge flow yet?

My society doesnt support me getting into this field.

Makes sense. Almost everyone who comes into game development loses out financially. Often big-time.

Don't go down a career path you don't want to, but the only reason you should get into game development is because you like it enough to be willing to take the massive financial risk. And you should have something to fall back on that isn't pretty much statistically guaranteed to be a financial disaster.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement