🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I have a doubt in spite pixels

Started by
3 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 6 months ago

I want to make a HD game but I am a new starter to 2d art . My doubt is Isn't I also export the spirit in hd that is 1000*1000 pixels

Please clear my doubt

Advertisement
59 minutes ago, KARTHI said:

My doubt is Isn't I also export the spirit in hd that is 1000*1000 pixels

Remember that sheets should be power of two 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096. It stops at 4096 at the moment.

Your sheets can be odd long like 512*1024, each dimension should just be power of two. Sprites can be none power of two(50*100) but should be fitted to a sprite sheet that is power of two.

Your problem with uses 1000*1000 is that you use +/- 4 bites of memory for each pixel. So 1 000 000 * 4 = 4 000 000 bytes = 4MB

So 4MB isn't bad right?

24 frames per second = smooth animation. Walk = 2-4 seconds to loop = 24* 4 = 96 sprites = 96*4mb = 384 MB of ram to walk for one character.

1 Player. 2 Enemies = 384MB * 3 = more than 1GB of ram for 3 characters to walk.

So as you see the problem is that even if a single sprite of 1000*1000 isn't much the amount you need to make even a simple game pushes the limits. Even AAA games stick to 4096*4096 is there max texture sizes and they only need one per character.

If you want to use 1000*1000 then I recommend you use a vector animation style. Don't Starve does this and performs well on mid-range computers.

Okay I understand clearly And I have another doubt, isn't the game run clearly in any device if I use 100*100 pixels image? and if I use the copy of sprite in 10 times in the screen. Isn't the bits calculation is done for each Sprite or consider them as a one?

3 hours ago, KARTHI said:

isn't the game run clearly in any device if I use 100*100 pixels image?

No, not always. Vectors (3D models or Vector images) are always clear but pixels blur at times.

Engines often have ways of dealing with this blur. For example they often take the mips maps and blend with the pixels to make the pixels look smooth. So it isn't a thing that should worry you as much.

If you do get problems you can ask here for help. Lots of developers make 2D games and can help you.

3 hours ago, KARTHI said:

and if I use the copy of sprite in 10 times in the screen.

It depends on how you setup your rendering.

If you are using a engine that was made by professionals(Game Maker, Unity, Unreal, Cocos2D etc..) then no. The engines use instances so you load a image once and can use it as much as you want for little cost.

Rendering hundreds of the same sprite will only be slightly more expensive than rendering one.

I advice you don't worry about these details yet. Start making your game and when it gets slow start asking around.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement