🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pack multiple animation tracks in one FBX file

Started by
2 comments, last by riuthamus 6 years, 6 months ago

I need multiple animations takes to be placed in one FBX file, but 3ds max isn't able to place them in separate timelines. So is it a way to place several animation takes in one FBX file?

Added: what I tried is exporting in "txt fbx", then adding in notepad a new take in the "take section", then reexport in binary fbx. But it looks like a little bit comples

Advertisement
51 minutes ago, Kobaktan said:

but 3ds max isn't able to place them in separate timelines.

You can arrange them in one time line. Say walk is 0-25 frames then jump is 26-32 frames etc. This is the old way.

You can also convert your animation into actions, like the ones you use in the dope sheet, Unreal imports these as separate animations.

You can export every animation as it's own FBX, Unreal has no problem with this and it makes editing easier. Just point to the same rig when importing.

@Scouting Ninja pretty much covered it all, but to re-inforce. If you are attempting to make this for Unity or UE4 you have two options. You can export them all as a baked animation set (3dmax can do this) and import them into the editor. Once there you can break them apart using frames, or you can seperate them.

Furthermore, the normal method for this process is to export multiple animations to a folder and link them to the bone set for the primary skeletal mesh. UE4 and Unity both support this process. At first this is confusing, but I promise you in the long run this is much better to accomplish fast edits.

Would need to know what you are attempting to pack the stuff into, and for what reason. A custom engine certainly might need this, but the engines already out there support whatever you need.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement