🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some critic over a game trailer storyboard

Started by
4 comments, last by katastrophic88 6 years, 5 months ago

Hello

We're working on a project since a year, and recently, to participate into a contest we need a game video/trailer.

It could be a simple gameplay video, but I saw that games with polished trailers were really advantaged last years.

I never did videos before, so I wrote this after seeing some pro trailers.

The main points of our game are:

-A strange and well written setting

-A strong freedom of action

-turn per turn battle system, close to tabletops RPGs 

-a strong race/class and multiclassing strategy (6 races and 21 classes) for team members (think FF Tactics)

I wanted them to be visible in the video

Also, we don't have a lot of material for the videos, as we didn't started any form of promo for the moment (basically that contest will be our official announcement)

We have: 

-Concept arts

-Ingame videos

-We could draw 2-3 promo art for the video

-Hopefully we will have the main game theme for the music

Here is the storyboard:

(Picture - Creation of Adam by Michelangelo)

(Text)

Each world is the mirror of the God who created it.

But how would look a world created by a god...

(First promo art - a view of a game location)

...who thought that the Metro is the finest human creation?

(First video - Adventure)

(Text just before the first video)

Explore a huge and breathtaking world

(Text just after the first video)

Would you be a Trader? An Explorer? A pirate?

(Optional)

(Concept arts of characters)

(Text) Decide who will be your trustworty friend...

...and who will be your deadly foe

(second video - combat system)

(Optional - text during video)

A turn per turn system close to tabletops RPGs

(Different concepts art of classes and races)

(Text)

Meet your teamembers from X races

And choose their ability from 21 classes.

(Logo animation on the second promo art)

XXX release the XXX

Here are my questions:

-What do you think overall?

-Should I keep things labelled optionnal?

-I've tried as hard as possible to avoid text/picture/video overlaps. That something that I strongly dislike on some trailers because you can't read and watch at the same time, Do you think I'm right?

-I've putted the game name and logo only at the end of the video, do you think that's an error?

-Do you think that the video is showing our strong points enough?

-A last question: gameplay wise we have 6 different races in the game. However it's the male/female variation of three basic races. In two cases they are looking really differently, in the last one it's basically humans. Do you think it's wiser to speak about 6 races, 3 races, or just not mention that topic.

Thank you for your critic

Advertisement

Hum, nobody at all?

Maybe somebody know a place where I can get this thing criticized? Or some tutos for commercial use trailers? I didn't any any outside of very basic ones on the for now. 

I'm confused, did you try to link pictures to your original post?  I don't see any pictures.  You might get more critics in the Art forum if you show case some art to critic.

There is no pictures for the moment, as we have to draw them for the trailer I want to have a good storyboard (just text about what's in the video).

On 12/21/2017 at 2:51 PM, Telemachos said:

Hello

We're working on a project since a year, and recently, to participate into a contest we need a game video/trailer.

It could be a simple gameplay video, but I saw that games with polished trailers were really advantaged last years.

I never did videos before, so I wrote this after seeing some pro trailers.

The main points of our game are:

-A strange and well written setting

-A strong freedom of action

-turn per turn battle system, close to tabletops RPGs 

-a strong race/class and multiclassing strategy (6 races and 21 classes) for team members (think FF Tactics)

I wanted them to be visible in the video

Also, we don't have a lot of material for the videos, as we didn't started any form of promo for the moment (basically that contest will be our official announcement)

We have: 

-Concept arts

-Ingame videos

-We could draw 2-3 promo art for the video

-Hopefully we will have the main game theme for the music

Here is the storyboard:

(Picture - Creation of Adam by Michelangelo)

(Text)

Each world is the mirror of the God who created it.

But how would look a world created by a god...

(First promo art - a view of a game location)

...who thought that the Metro is the finest human creation?

(First video - Adventure)

(Text just before the first video)

Explore a huge and breathtaking world

(Text just after the first video)

Would you be a Trader? An Explorer? A pirate?

(Optional)

(Concept arts of characters)

(Text) Decide who will be your trustworty friend...

...and who will be your deadly foe

(second video - combat system)

(Optional - text during video)

A turn per turn system close to tabletops RPGs

(Different concepts art of classes and races)

(Text)

Meet your teamembers from X races

And choose their ability from 21 classes.

(Logo animation on the second promo art)

XXX release the XXX

Here are my questions:

-What do you think overall?

-Should I keep things labelled optionnal?

-I've tried as hard as possible to avoid text/picture/video overlaps. That something that I strongly dislike on some trailers because you can't read and watch at the same time, Do you think I'm right?

-I've putted the game name and logo only at the end of the video, do you think that's an error?

-Do you think that the video is showing our strong points enough?

-A last question: gameplay wise we have 6 different races in the game. However it's the male/female variation of three basic races. In two cases they are looking really differently, in the last one it's basically humans. Do you think it's wiser to speak about 6 races, 3 races, or just not mention that topic.

Thank you for your critic

I think this is a good start--it's a bit hard to gauge without any visuals (gameart, concept art, etc.) but I think you have the makings of a solid trailer. I would keep the things you labelled as optional -- seeing characters and combat system is important if they are available. 

(Hit enter too quickly lol). I think you made a good call not overlapping video footage and text, as it does make it hard to read. Once you create a version of the video, you'll be able to identify parts that need to be added. I wouldn't mention the races, as it gets into a bit too much detail. You can add this info in the summary section. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement