🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using 3D hardware in a 2D engine

Started by
3 comments, last by babar_zafar 24 years, 5 months ago
Hi there, well my 2D engine is complete with all its intended features, is quite heavily optimized (since I''m an old demo coder) I know how to tweak 2d stuff. Some people have told me that i could use 3d hardware in my engine to perform standard acceleared effects like alpha blending etc. The problem is that I know nothing about Direct3D or any 3D API. Could anyone give me a hint on this? If i should use Direct3D, should I then treat all my image buffers as textures ? I know I''m not being all that clear, but I''have no idea were to start - and getting cramps out of not having something to code.. // Babar Zafar // Copyright (c) 1982-2000, Parents Inc
// Babar Zafar// Copyright (c) 1982-2000,
Advertisement
Hi!

If you don''t know any graphics APIs yet, can I suggest you learn OpenGL? :-)
You can draw sprites, tiles and stuff like that using texturemapped polygons. You DON''T want to draw screen-sized backgrounds directly to the framebuffer. I wrote a brief, introductory article on 2D/3D a while back: http://www.gamedeveloper.org/delphi3d/articles/sprites.shtml

Tom Nuydens (delphi3d@gamedeveloper.org)
Tom Nuydens delphi3d@gamedeveloper.org www.gamedeveloper.org/delphi3d
To be honest I cant help you much except to say that this would be a good idea for an article. I am also slightly intimidated by Immediate Mode D3D etc, and only want to use it for 2D, so all this 3D math and Z buffering gubbins is no use to me, i just need a good texturing tutorial with the latest version of DirectX. There isnt any book on the market telling you how to do 2D games with 3D acceleration.
if i work out how to do it, ill write an article myself :-)

http://www.positech.co.uk
*chuckling* I submitted an article to GameDev about how to use Direct3D Immediate Mode to speed up common 2D operations. Myopic Rhino says it will be out in the next week or so. Its actually relatively easy once you get your head around some of the slightly odd-seeming concepts that Direct3D (and OpenGL, to be honest) throw at you.
Cool. I would love to see some articles on this as well.

Marcus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement