🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do I really need another bachelor's degree specifically in game art to get hired in a big studio?

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDevSeal 6 years, 5 months ago

Do you really need to get a degree specifically for game art or would be a bachelor's degree in design such as graphic design sufficient and learn everything else with online courses and tutorials by yourself? Also, is a master's degree also benefical or not?

I am really confused right now, because I took a 2-year-diploma-course in graphic design and right now I am doing my bachelor's degree in Information Design, where I absolutely don't have the feeling that it prepares me for the game industry at all.

And I have found a relatively cheap bachelor's programm in the Netherlands that is called International Game Architecture and Design where I will learn 3D modelling, character design, animation and whatnot related to the art side of game development. However, I already have a good background in illustration. And my dream is to work as a concept artist in a really big studio such as Blizzard.. Would another bachelor's degree in game art be wise or would it be a waste of time, because I could teach myself all the skills or taking online courses instead of having to study for another three years? Help, I don't know what to do anymore!! I really need your advice, thank you sooooo much in advance for all of your helpful responses!!

Advertisement

I have an art degree, but I don't work as an artist. I think schooling can be useful to learn and for the experience. You can also make connections with other students and teachers, and some schools can help with job placement. I had classmates that got hired at top-tier AAA studios right after graduating, but they really excelled at their practice.

However, if your art isn't any good, no studio will hire you just because you have a degree. Similarly, if you're a rock solid artist, your portfolio will speak for itself and no one will care if you have a degree or not.

So, if you're already confident in your art skills, I would say the degree may be unnecessary. If you think you're not prepared, or if you still need to work on your skills, college can be a great way to learn and build a portfolio. Also, having any sort of degree (even somewhat unrelated) can help with getting interviews, as it shows you may be more responsible than someone else with only a high school diploma or that dropped out of college. But I don't think a "game art" degree is strictly needed, especially if you're already skilled and have some degrees under your belt.

But it can really depend. I know a lot of people say degrees are not needed at all, even for programming, but I still want to go back to school for Computer Science. So I understand the desire for better qualifications and to learn in a more formal environment. So I don't want you to get the idea that I'm saying degrees are useless. They can certainly help get you hired, but you'll have to do the work to have a solid portfolio either way, and that will be the thing you're ultimately judged on.

Q: Do you really need to get a degree specifically for game art

A: No.

Q: or would be a bachelor's degree in design such as graphic design sufficient

Q: Also, is a master's degree also benefical or not? 

A: It depends. Some hirers will say "he's over-educated." But if you ever want to teach at a university, they'll say "he doesn't even have a Masters?" I wrote http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m76.htm on the subject of masters degrees.

Q: my dream is to work as a concept artist in a really big studio such as Blizzard..

A: Then I hope your art skills are amazing! Are you the reincarnation of Rembrandt?

Q: Would another bachelor's degree in game art be wise

Q: or would it be a waste of time,

Q: because I could teach myself all the skills or taking online courses instead of having to study for another three years?

A: It will probably take longer than 3 years to teach it to yourself, because first you have to learn how to teach.

Q: Help, I don't know what to do anymore!!

A: Finish the degree you're working on now. Then build a spectacular portfolio and start networking like crazy.  http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Great answers above, yet I'm still going to take a stab at it:

I believe that as long as you're building up a portfolio, and your number of released games increases, you will be okay. College is getting more irrelevant by the second. More and more parents are not getting upset when their sons drop out. That won't apply for any career, but in game development, I think it's the experience that counts.

I make daily youtube videos, where I talk about aspects of game development, videos like:

• A tool that helped me craft great elevator pitches
  • 10+ Best Game Dev Courses for Beginners, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement