🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

teaching character design

Started by
14 comments, last by SOSFactory 6 years, 2 months ago
17 minutes ago, gameteacher said:

What aspects of character design for games are NOT being taught by this...

Clothing. Like for example character who need to be used a lot should have there faces behind mask or wear uniforms that are known for making people look a like. That is something that is more mechanic based and not thought as character art in general.

Advertisement

What is not being taught? You have not mentioned the RESEARCH step, like, at all.

Separate the process of "character design" -- whether it's for games or linear media (TV, film) -- into two stages: concept and execution.

The research is part of the concept stage, including having a story for the character, their profile, the world and culture they're a part of etc. You can go as deep as you can. Depth and richness is good.

The execution stage involves making a visual representation of the character: their model (in the 2D sense), like a turn-around sheet and an action sheet (that image of them making several expressions and emotions, so everyone on the team can get a feel of the character and know how to stay in-model).

You're right. So this curriculum is deficient in both lack of concept (through research assignments) AND execution, in that only PS is used. I thought for sure some of you guys would mention how other programs would be better for the class.

I wouldn't be that concerned with software. I mean, a professional character designer can take a pencil and paper and blow your mind. The drawing is IN them, no matter what medium they're using. The software in this case would just be a convenient interface for working digitally.

If you (or your friend) want to make it only about the software, then be honest and say "this will be a program about digital art", not character design.

In the execution stage there are some important things like semiotics, shape language, colour psychology. This is a funny example of why these things matter: http://www.dorkly.com/post/80428/overwatch-fan-shows-asked-mom-to-describe-all-the-heroes-its-good

EDIT: on notable software, besides PS there's Clip Studio Paint.

Assuming that your students have a background in traditional art you should cover topics like anatomy, proportions (8 to 2 heads), posing, face expressions, clothing, hair and then digital painting for rendering style from flat look to realistic digital painting.

I have some tutorials about mascot design

preview-drunken-monkey-mascot.jpg

Checkout my Premium Avatar Creator: http://bit.ly/2GE5Fd7  

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement