🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Career advice

Started by
3 comments, last by pcmaster 6 years, 2 months ago

Hi, Im studying Videogame Design and Development (we use Unity) and my goal is to become a videogame programmer. Those are a very generalist studies so we doesnt deepen so much on advanced programming. I have previous (non engineer) programming certification, so I can build easily almost any prototype I design.

But after a couple of years working with Unity I almost left completly aside things like OOP, MVC... So my first doubt is if I am in the wrong way. I know that I would be able to learn anything forgotten or new when I arrived at a new job. But will I even have this opportunity if there is nothing like that on my portfolio? (Because I think I have to show the code) If answer is that I need to deepen on those programming techniques, could you suggest any book or whatever that explains the need of those approaches on Unity and teach about them?

On the other hand, do you think I can build my portfolio with prototypes? Just placeholders cubes and capsules... Because I really feel like Im loosing my time modelling or rigging for a programming portfolio. I mean, I cant reach the modelling level of a full-time modeller, so on my old trys, I think my demos even look worse (bad rig and things like that) than with just placeholders. Maybe employers doesnt even look at demos and only want finished and published games?

Thats all, sorry about my bad english ^ Thanks.

Advertisement
4 hours ago, Electroner said:

Im studying Videogame Design and Development (we use Unity)

Is that a degree? How far are you into that degree?

Usually the recommendation if you want to be a programmer is to do a Computer Science degree, then specialize in whatever you want. And I think you understand now why that is.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

5 hours ago, TheChubu said:

Is that a degree? How far are you into that degree?

Usually the recommendation if you want to be a programmer is to do a Computer Science degree, then specialize in whatever you want. And I think you understand now why that is.

It is not a degree. But, as far as I know, what really matters is your portfolio, isnt it? Nevertheless I can imagine that entreprises may use a higher level techniques, thats why Im asking for a little help to know what and how should I learn and keep focus on my portfolio.

My goal is not to work on a very big famous AAA company.

Do read some older posts in this forum, just on the most recent page there's a ton of good dicussions. Many developers detailed what a day of a programmer in an AAA company looks like, what the interview looks like and many other interesting facts. Most of it applies to non-AAA as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement