🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Arpago - RPG-lite in retro 3D

Started by
0 comments, last by Paszq 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello! :D
I am new to this site - my name is Pawel and for the last 1.5 year I've been working on a little personal project in Unity, heavily inspired by games I liked and wanted to see them mixed. I called it Arpago.

What it is

It is a top-down action RPG-lite as I like to call it. It is set in a cartoony fantasy universe, has semi-open world divided into zones, and a lot of freedom regarding the playthroughs. Player can choose one of 3 playable races - Human, Fox Folk, or Troglodytes, and one of 5 classes - Warrior, Ranger, Marksman, Summoner, and Battlemage. The game has working combat, inventory, spells, quests, map, NPCs, enemies, dialogue, interface, usable objects (ex. tools), split-screen, so the only things left to do regarding major features are finishing local multi and online support.

Major inspirations were Egoboo- a roguelike from early 1999, which I used as a reference regarding combat dynamics, "kind-of" visual style, and perspective. Dungeon Siege - hack'n'slash / RPG from 2002 - it was my go-to inspiration regarding magic, class design, balance, as well as its dedicated huge multiplayer map was a good example of world design. Also Tibia, an MMO from 90s that I played for 4 years in mid 2000s - from that one I took some lessons regarding world design, creature balance, and atmosphere. Other inspirations probably were Gothic 1 & 2 (settlement design, Khorinis is just so good city) and Dark Souls games (trying to create a lot interconnectivity in the world, using a kind of savepoint system, still deciding on death penalty).

Until few weeks ago I worked on it alone in my free time, I made all the assets except sounds myself and have spent about 2000 hours on its development as of now. I have fun doing it, I don't treat it like a second job and I take long breaks occassionally. From over 1.5 month I've been working with Adam, who will be composer and sound designer for the project. We are currently working to create a vertical slice of the game and release it as a demo.

Videos

Ranger trying to outplay a Hellspawn

Summoner fighting a Cyclops

Woods and Graveyard gameplay

Team hunting (split-screen)

Town exploration gameplay

Gifs:

Quest/dialogue system

Visiting post office

Farmlands view

Summary

I've got a Twitter and a Website with devblog, which I try to keep updated. 
If you are interested in the project, please let me know! Any ideas, any criticism, any questions, any suggestions - all kinds of feedback are welcome!

I'll try posting here now and then - keeping up with all the forums is quite a challenge for such a small team :)

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement