🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm new and like to get started on 2D

Started by
7 comments, last by UrMomDotCom 22 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I am new to gamedev and need some help. So if whomever reads this can e-mail me some info on what books a newbie can benefit from, then do just that. By the way, in 13 and non of the technical stuff...
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get drunk all the time and have the time of your life. ;)
Advertisement
Or, you can search these forums for "books" and get a list of a hundred messages that give you this information.
All right. Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days.

Pick that book up before you do anything. Read it over and over and over untill you know everything in it.

From there, you will understand what comes next in Game Development and hopefully be a bit better at searching and find the books you need.

Good Luck.

------------------------------

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche

"So quiet, another wasted night, the television steals the conversation. Exhale, another wasted breathe, again it goes unnoticed...." ~ Dashboard Confessional
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
That book is N-A-S-T-Y, Drizzt. I have it. It''s really not very good. Especially if you don''t already know C (I still don''t, and am learning it)

~Ed
Sqeek.
When I first read that book I had no knowledge of computer programming. I knew HTML. Thats it.

You should get Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 as your compiler before.

By the way, I was 13 when I read that book. I didn''t even know algebra. So I think you will do fine.

------------------------------

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche

"So quiet, another wasted night, the television steals the conversation. Exhale, another wasted breathe, again it goes unnoticed...." ~ Dashboard Confessional
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Once you get a compiler and start to learn C++, a good class library for 2D is CDX. It''s at http://www.cdxlib.com/. It''s a good set of classes to get you going.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
Read the ''For Beginners'' link at the top of the page. And the C++ in 21 Days book recommended above isn''t too bad, in my opinion, assuming you want to start programming that is. For design, there are fewer good books available.

I''ve also moved this to the ''For Beginners'' forum as that is where it belongs.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
The C++ in 21 days book is pretty good. I also recommend "C++ For Dummies" (the pocket reference was fine for me and it''s only $6).

If you dont want to spend a whole lot of money you can get Dev-C++ which is free.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
Once you get comfortable with C++, you can get "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre Lamothe. It will teach 2D game programming using DirectX. Plus DirectX is free to program with and is in wide use.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement