🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Brilliant game Idea of a GTA Primal.

Started by
35 comments, last by jbadams 5 years, 10 months ago

Alright, let’s not get bogged down with hypotheticals and stick on topic.  This thread has the potential to go off the rails as OP’s other thread.  To summarize thus far:

• Ideas in and of themselves do not have any value.
  • It is the execution of the idea that has value, but it also is where 1x to 3x the budget, the sweat, the blood, and the tears go.
  • Yes, someone can “steal” your idea, make a game out of it, and have varying degrees of success or failure, but hey also have to invest the resources into it as well.
  • Why hasn’t someone made “popular game X but with Y”?  Because it costs resources or research suggests it will not turn a profit or the proof of concept proves the idea to be not fun.
  • People who don’t value their own time have warped perspectives about how games are made.
Advertisement
1 hour ago, sprotz said:

( I do not intend to compete with current gen titles)

If your game and those other games are  on the market at the same time, and share a market segment, then you are competing with them.

Anyway, as to your budget question, yes it's theoretically possible to make an MMO with amateurs and no money. Expect to run into a lot of problems that could be overcome much more easily if only there was money. And expect it to take a long time. AAA teams of hundreds take three years or more. Most of the cost is for the people, who are needed because of the tremendous amount of assets and code required.  

But every case is different. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Unless you have less ambitious projects acutally completed (and at a reasonable quality level) behind you, diving into a super ambitious and large project as your "first, real game" seems naive at best.

@suliman  I will develop and release 'short' demos of the planned projects and post them on the internet for free, if that is a good proposition. Two of the projects are actually quite short. I can develop them first, but It will cost upon release. Initially, I planned to release the PC versions of the games free, but after the outcome of the 'big' post I made here, I decided all games are going to cost.

Yes releasing parts of the projects as you work on them is a very good idea, you can get feedback and find out what works and what doesnt work.

However, you are still talking about several projects at the same time, as well as releasing for different platforms. It seems you are still very unawere of the scope of doing all this. Just start small, listen to feedback and you will in time progress towards your goals.

About demanding money for your games: 
What in the big post made you change your plan to actually charge money? This seems very strange to me. Also, if you are not published before, it will be very hard to get people to pay for your first game (the competition is tough), and if you have less people playing your game you will get less feedback (and your games and you as a devoloper will progress much slower). Worry about this later.

You have not yet completed a single project it seems. The key here is to listen and learn from people with more experience. I'm not sure if you are willing to do that (as indicated from your other thread). If you are though, you can get lots of help from these forums.

1 hour ago, sprotz said:

@suliman  I will develop and release 'short' demos of the planned projects and post them on the internet for free, if that is a good proposition. Two of the projects are actually quite short. I can develop them first, but It will cost upon release. Initially, I planned to release the PC versions of the games free, but after the outcome of the 'big' post I made here, I decided all games are going to cost.

sprotz, monetization of games is a Business topic, not a Game Design topic. If you want to discuss how to monetize your game, please start a thread for that in the Business And Law forum. 

37 minutes ago, suliman said:

What in the big post made you change your plan to actually charge money?

The pessimistic attitude and calibre of the members on here made me do it, almost made me doubt myself. I doubt there are any adults on this forum. 

22 minutes ago, sprotz said:

I doubt there are any adults on this forum. 

sprotz, personal attacks are not welcome here.

At this point I'm not sure are you trolling or are you being serious here.

Less talk, more work.  You're burning daylight engaging with us mere mortals.  So far you're just telling us what you think you can do, show us.  As the saying goes, talk is cheap.  Based on your previous larger discussion this game should take you about 3-4 months?  Show us a working prototype in a couple weeks, prove us wrong.  Easy! :)  Best of luck!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement