🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What’s the future of internet?

Started by
4 comments, last by frob 5 years, 8 months ago

Hello everyone

I am totally new to this community, my first post ever in here and in a long time on the internet, especially speaking my mind

Deleted my Facebook, Instagram and other social media apps, been browsing YouTube and news sites in my spare time seems more usefull than watching all the bs on my news feed

But even on YouTube and news site it feels, at least for me, impossible to not have to dodge crappy ads, clickbait and other bad content, almost every site has been using guerilla tatics to get views. It’s like walking in the streets having to dodge shady individuals harassing you to sell their useless fake merchandise, and looks like it’s getting worse every day. Remember when you couldn’t even select the thumbnail on YouTube. Pepperidge Farm remembers

What bring me back to the question, what’s the future of the internet? What will be more difficult to mine, Bitcoins or good content? How we so badly managed to monetize it? Even the game industry it’s suffering from it, look at the mobile platforms that appeared after the “click here it will make me money” became widespread popular, crappy content right in to your face

Sorry for any bad grammar, trying my best to improve my English vocabulary and grammar.

Advertisement

I deleted my social media as well since 2015. I did have close to a thousand friends (real living friends I know throughout my life, not found online), but interaction inside is close to zero lately at that time. I'm more into content-first websites now, like you. However, I do keep a Twitter account (not related to this account) just to have a mini blog; a place where I just speak whatever I want and doesn't even need to be long, though I keep my words cause it's still a public space.

I'm okay with ads to be honest as long as they aren't that intrusive. For me the ads in YouTube isn't that bad (except the one in home), they are user-generated and can be funny (and related) sometimes. I've also adjusted and picked whichever websites and videos (in YouTube) that aren't clickbait. As for YouTube, I simply mark it as "I don't like this video" and "I don't want to see videos from X" so I don't need to see more from them anymore. Usually I report the misleading ones, not only beacuse it's really misleading, but I think reporting gives a better effect on what is recommended to you.

As for monetization, well, businesses seek money so, they do whatever to get it. They make something so interested that people can't live without, then they make something that some people can tolerate with, which they have them. So I don't see a problem with that. In the end it gets mutual (some prefer to choose the word "manipulated"). You and me can hate these but they have numbers to keep, and we are not one of them, and for them, that's fine (and calculated). Most people will always fall to, for example, "Meghan Markle killed a deer" than "Meghan Markle having a roasted venison she hunted for dinner" as headline, and sadly it will always be like that.

I'm not sure what future of the internet is related to mining bitcoin or good contents, but the future of the internet is what people can bring into it and how they enjoy to use it. Social media was one of them. Right now I think it's still moving towards to content-based websites. Instagram, pinterest, YouTube, etc.

if we can relate shit-posting to entropy, than we can be sure the internet will follow the laws of thermodynamics over time. 

Side-bar, integrating ad apis into our applications is easy for developers to generate a basic revenue stream for the awesome content that people consume daily, FOR FREE. Bitcoin mining is _far_ more intrusive than a silly ad that plays for 15 seconds. 

It'll be broken up by region as different countries enforce different rules.

The Internet is far more than social media, cat videos, and what you can find on the Web.  Big companies tend to push the model that that's all there is, content they produce and can sell you.  The major ISPs who are also content producers tend to forget that the Internet at its core is nothing more than a means for transmitting data between two arbitrary endpoints, and decry that anything that looks like a "server" should be banned unless you pay for a premium business server account.

As such, the Internet of Things (IoT) holds a lot of promise, as well as being ripe for abuse and commercial extortion. Many devices and tools in my life could benefit from certain types of connectivity.  High-tech movies show sliding information from device to device seamlessly, and being able to predict what you want to do in helpful ways. Unfortunately too many companies see those as ways to extract money from people, either with or without the benefits they provide. 

My biggest worry is true electronic warfare, where everyone who uses it for anything instantly becomes collateral damage.  

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement