🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Should I work in HCL?

Started by
6 comments, last by CaptainVG 5 years, 8 months ago

I have been working in a small game company for three years now and my family wants me to work at HCL which isn't a game company but has instead offered game testers to test games that are being outsourced.

Ok so my family is hellbent on me getting into HCL(Hindustan Computers Limited) and they are trying to force me to work there because of three reasons.

1. A family member is working there.

2. Its a large company so it means less stress and more compensations.

3. It gets to give me more opportunities.

I worked as a game tester for nearly two years now but the problem is that HCL appointed me as a test engineer and I don't know automation testing. I also don't feel like I can fit in there because of it not exactly being a game company but rather an outsource company. And I believe that its a scam that they are offering as they say that you get paid by simply playing games. 

It also is disrupting my comfort zone as I'm used to this company that is a 30 minute distance compared to the other one which is more than 1 hour distance and I'm not sure of the timings. I am also very doubtful about it because once I start working there, I cannot leave there until after two years. I have yet to ask my cousin regarding work ethics and how exactly less stressful it is there compared to what I am dealing with here but I would like to get advise from you guys. Should I work at HCL?

Advertisement
5 hours ago, CaptainVG said:

Should I work at HCL?

Not without asking your cousin and getting generally more information overall.  There is no reason your unknowns need to be unknowns before you make a decision.  If you think something is a scam, get information on it and determine if you are correct.  There are a lot of things here you need to answer for yourself before any of us can help you.  If it is the same as what you are doing but better, then go for it.  Game testing is not just playing games, but that doesn't mean it is a scam; a manager could just be being facetious.  I personally do not accept commutes of over 1 hour, no exceptions.

It seems to me you should be asking someone who works there about these things, and you know someone who works there, so there is not much we can do.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

8 hours ago, CaptainVG said:

my family wants me to work at HCL ...  they are trying to force me to work there ...  I also don't feel like I can fit in there ... And I believe that its a scam that they are offering as they say that you get paid by simply playing games. ... I'm used to this company that is a 30 minute distance compared to the other one which is more than 1 hour distance

You are torn between familial pressure and your own wishes. The question is, will your family disown you if you follow your own path.  If not, go your own way. If so, how important is it, in your culture? Since I don't live where you live, I don't know the culture. Your quandary is not one I ever experienced. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

7 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

You are torn between familial pressure and your own wishes. The question is, will your family disown you if you follow your own path.  If not, go your own way. If so, how important is it, in your culture? Since I don't live where you live, I don't know the culture. Your quandary is not one I ever experienced. 

They won't disown me but they will be extremely upset because they think HCL is a good company and since its large, not only will it be stress free but it has more benefits than what company I'm dealing with.but I'm not buying it because in the appointment order, it says that I may have to work in shifts and may have to go abroad which I don't want to do if its going to happen very often.

My parents are hellbent on HCL and so are the relatives around because they all think its a large company which has many benefits but again, I'm not buying that since even large companies have unethical actions like EA.

It sounds like they only have unbased assumptions and still put pressure on you. You definitely should get more information and talk to your cousin (lets hope they didnt tell him already what to tell you). With more information it'll be easier for you to make a decision and also present more credible reasons for it to them.

As much as we love/hate them, family (baring financial dependence) is usually something we don't need. However, you do need you. So the important question here that you should place before all this is, what do you want to do?

2 hours ago, markypooch said:

As much as we love/hate them, family (baring financial dependence) is usually something we don't need. However, you do need you. So the important question here that you should place before all this is, what do you want to do?

To be honest, I can't really figure it out myself. I thought breaking to the game industry would be the best thing to happen to me but the tedious amounts of work crunch for no reasons and the fact that testing games almost is something that you can't learn anything out of means that its something that wasn't meant to be for me.

My family is hellbent on me working and they don't want me to stay idle and yet that is what I want to do because I don't see the point of continuously working late hours if every job is going to involve working late because of how managers are excused for not managing things properly unless if I'm mistaken.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement