🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help with console or control panel?

Started by
1 comment, last by Atropos 24 years, 5 months ago
You know what I mean? A little area at the bottom of the screen that will show an animated portrait of my player (think doom) and his health and ammo and such. The only way I can think to do it is to use DirDraw to clip the screen so that a certain area at the bottom of the screen is left blank. Am I on the right track? If I am how do you than access that blank area to blit sprites and draw stuff?
Advertisement
You could create another off-screen surface that contains your console, then blit that surface to the back buffer before you flip. That way, it always shows up on top, and without too much extra hassle.

2mikes.com

FEE
Ok I'm having some problems doing this.

I've created a third surface named lpddsconsole by using this line in my directx_init function: lpdd->CreateSurface(&ddsd,&lpddsconsole,NULL);

than when I draw the screen I set up my destination and source rectangles to cover the area on my screen from 0,400 to 639,479 - than I Blit this to the back surface using the line:

lpddsback->Blt(&dest_rect,lpddsconsole,&source_rect,DDBLT_WAIT,NULL);

than i flip the surfaces.

But I don't get a black rectangle across the bottom of my screen. In fact it looks exactly the same as it did before. Could someone tell me what step I'm missing?

Edited by - Atropos on 1/25/00 9:39:22 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement