🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

In Need of direction

Started by
14 comments, last by 8Observer8 4 years, 2 months ago

To start of Hello guys Happy Holidays. I am currently venturing game development as a Side project to keep myself busy from being in between jobs.

I have adequate knowledge in C++, I should have pursued a career in programming but I went and worked as a Cook (Yes I have been told that the two professions are very far from each other) any how as a kid I always wanted to make my own game and maybe an mmo, but here in the philippines I can hardly find a career in game development that is why I pursued my other hobby which is cooking.

Now getting to the direction part. Can I have recommendations on what platforms/compilers/engines/programs/languages I need to kick start this project.

I am currently brushing up in my C++ knowledge, and crunching brain muscles in my concept and world creation.

Thank you in advance,

Advertisement
15 minutes ago, bigmacmuffin said:

To start of Hello guys Happy Holidays. I am currently venturing game development as a Side project to keep myself busy from being in between jobs.

I have adequate knowledge in C++, I should have pursued a career in programming but I went and worked as a Cook (Yes I have been told that the two professions are very far from each other) any how as a kid I always wanted to make my own game and maybe an mmo, but here in the philippines I can hardly find a career in game development that is why I pursued my other hobby which is cooking.

Now getting to the direction part. Can I have recommendations on what platforms/compilers/engines/programs/languages I need to kick start this project.

I am currently brushing up in my C++ knowledge, and crunching brain muscles in my concept and world creation.

Thank you in advance,

If you're looking at getting into 2D game development I would suggest looking into SFML once you have a good grasp of the language itself. If you would like to start in 3D game development, then the Unreal Engine would be a great start. :) 

If you have specific questions with problems you're having, then feel free to post a topic and I'm sure you'll find answers!

SFML: https://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php

Unreal Engine: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Programmer and 3D Artist

SFML I would look into that.

Currently though Im looking into Unreal, Unity, and Cry engine.

Unity seems to be the easiest to get into but the design is cartoonish.

Im still debating with myself with Unreal and Cry. Unreal seems to be more widely used but I also wanted to see cry engine because I think it is more stable (remembering the Crysis game).

1 hour ago, bigmacmuffin said:

Unity seems to be the easiest to get into but the design is cartoonish.

Unity is for C#, and it's only "cartoonish" depending on the shader used. It can use PBR just like Unreal can. Unity attracts a different kind of audience which impacts the quality of the overall releases, but it's not a limitation of the engine itself.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You probably don't want CryEngine.  It's difficult to work with and not well supported.   If you really want to try it out maybe look at Amazon Lumberyard, which is forked from CryEngine but includes some improvements and additions and will likely be better supported (but still isn't very popular).

If it's important to you to be able to find help and examples I would probably stay away from both and use the more popular Unreal Engine instead.

- Jason Astle-Adams

On 12/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, jbadams said:

You probably don't want CryEngine.  It's difficult to work with and not well supported.   If you really want to try it out maybe look at Amazon Lumberyard, which is forked from CryEngine but includes some improvements and additions and will likely be better supported (but still isn't very popular).

If it's important to you to be able to find help and examples I would probably stay away from both and use the more popular Unreal Engine instead.

I see, I took a look at CryEngine since well the Crysis game was awesome and it was made from it. I was looking to engines that support the language I know which is C++..

On a general Note

I know it would need a photo editor and photoshop currently is most recommended one I amble to see. Is there a free one that I could grab and what other programs do I need? 

Do I need 3d maya or similar programs? Sound editing? 

Sorry for the late reply I have been busy.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:37 PM, Rutin said:

If you're looking at getting into 2D game development I would suggest looking into SFML once you have a good grasp of the language itself. If you would like to start in 3D game development, then the Unreal Engine would be a great start. :) 

If you have specific questions with problems you're having, then feel free to post a topic and I'm sure you'll find answers!

SFML: https://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php

Unreal Engine: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Yes I currently have Unreal downloaded for now and is considering to download unity.

I plan to make small mobile apps before hand at the very least to help me with finances and fund my self for the bigger project.

2 hours ago, bigmacmuffin said:

I know it would need a photo editor and photoshop currently is most recommended one I amble to see. Is there a free one that I could grab and what other programs do I need?

I study only free tools: GIMP and Inkscape

Do I need 3d maya or similar programs?

Blender

Sound editing? 

Audacity

4 hours ago, bigmacmuffin said:

I currently have Unreal downloaded for now and is considering to download unity.

I plan to make small mobile apps

Try to code in C++/UE and C#/Unity. Build for Android. You will dicide what do you like more.

9 hours ago, bigmacmuffin said:

On a general Note

Do I need 3d maya or similar programs? Sound editing? 

Sorry for the late reply I have been busy.

If you're looking at going at this as a solo developer then you'll need a few tools. If you're making 3D models then Blender is a good free option, but I cannot recommend anything else without know your budget. You can use Blender for modeling, sculpting, rigging, animating, ect... You'll need some way to make textures, and I don't suggest doing it through 2D painting environments like Photoshop. There are tools like Substance Painter, and Mari for this. I ditched the Photoshop workflow for Substance. I still use Photoshop for creating alphas and such.

If you're making your game as a 2D game, then using GIMP or Photoshop will be fine.

Sounds and music can be made through FL Studio or something similar.

Good luck! :) 

You might want to spend some money to get some decent tools to make your workflow a bit easier. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement