🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

is it possible to do game intelligence without AI?

Started by
11 comments, last by techpage 22 years, 6 months ago
how do you know what a rock wants?

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
Hmm I played with it quite a bit seemed like they just went for the shortest route...
Were the console versions and the arcade version different? Perhaps the AI was reduced to save cycles on the console?
Oluseyi, i''m pretty interested with your explanation on synthetic and artificial intelligence. Where can I get further discussion on them? and do anyone know LaMothe''s email address? his xgames3d.com email seemed inactive...

now that you guys mention it, I realise that ghosts in pacman is AI... but I''ve read this article about "cheating" in AI... it says, "Game developers tend to cheat their way through game AI"... when I brought this to generation 5 forum, i was introduced to the terms "cheating" and "honest" AI... what do you say about this?

p.s: I was also introduced to the terms Academic AI and Game AI, respectively defined as:

academic AI: focus more on process than result
game AI: focus more on result than process

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement