🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there any software that can capture a game frame by frame?

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 6 months ago

By capture I mean a process similar to pressing the PrtScn key. It is not decompressing a recorded video of a game. Rather, the image sequence should be obtained directly from the frame buffer of the game, and therefore 100% quality, i.e., 100% lossless. Is there any software that can do it? Preferably it is an open source so that I can investigate how the capture is implemented. Also I hope the capture speed is fast enough to catch the game dynamics (I'm not draconian at it; 30fps would be ok). To avoid possible misunderstanding, let me repeat: by capture I mean a process similar to pressing the PrtScn key. It is not decompressing a recorded video of a game. PS: I'm on Windows 10. Thanks.

Advertisement

Pretty sure Fraps will do what you want?

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
3 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

Pretty sure Fraps will do what you want?

Thanks for the reply. I posted the question in the Beginner's Forum in hope that it can be answered in a beginner-friendly way, but it was moved here for getting on someone's nerve I don't know. So could you please take that into consideration by being a little bit more specific, e.g., 1) what is Fraps? 2) Are you really sure Fraps will capture original frames of a game one by one? Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, zzzhhh said:

could you please take that into consideration by being a little bit more specific, e.g., 1) what is Fraps? 2) Are you really sure Fraps will capture original frames of a game one by one? Thanks a lot.

Did you do any research before posting that? 

It's literally the first result on google. 

No one is going to hold your hand. Learning to find things out for yourself is one of the most important skills you can develop.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Video capture software is never guaranteed to capture every frame. It may drop frames to maintain a frame rate or to prevent it eating too many system resources. There are codecs that ensure whatever frames it does capture will be lossless, if you want to ensure every frame is captured, you’d probably have to do that at expense of performance in your engine of choice at a lower level as this will then be able to capture every frame eg to a png, but can and would make your game run at single digits of frames per second.

Hope this helps!

Just so you know, I have just finished writing a piece of C++ code to do what I want: game capture frame by frame + 100% image quality + real time. It is so waste of time to ask online because nowadays the internet is full of dilettantis or even idiots.

and with that...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement