🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RTCW patches, gtk radiant and windows 95

Started by
0 comments, last by directx8.0a 5 years, 6 months ago

hi, i was wondering if anyone is familiar with the patching process with return to castle wolfenstein for pc. i have several questions, but first, i would like to know how necessary it is to be installing later patches for the game, i guess it's either a question of if it aint broke, then don't fix it. i am aware and have read some of the patch information such as fixing certain things like animations, etc, but part of me thinks it's better to keep the game more original or as original as i could have it to avoid possible incompatibilities unless of course the patches really can make them game function and look better and wouldn't cause problems, i already read up on a manual modification of resolution offered in the below thread -

https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/1429126-return-castle-wolfenstein-resolution-fix.html

i have always had this idea of using gtk radiant and creating maps with rtcw on windows 95, though this brings up the question of whether it makes any functional difference creating the maps / using gtk radiant on another operating system such as windows 98 or windows 2000, or if it should be ok, so as long as the gtk radiant version is the same, for example using gtk 1.4 on windows 2000 to create rtcw maps and then being able to load them on windows 95, i plan on using gtk radiant 1.4 to create maps, the filename is "GtkRadiantSetup-1.4.0-raven.exe", i have tested the program on windows 95 in that it installed without any errors and launched up, however, i didn't test it anymore past that, i did not have any games to test, only the program itself, for some weird reason, i couldn't get the older 1.2.11 to work on the last build i had, but another system before that, it did. 

back to RTCW, does anyone know if installing a later patch somehow breaks the game if playing it on windows 95 or causes it not function fully / properly? because i understand the game can work better in many ways, at least through testings on newer systems for the majority of them, however, with the older OS's like windows 95 and 98, there has been little to no information online on specific configurations / operations of gtk radiant and / or RTCW, regardless of what patch is being used, i do not think i found anything more than from what i've already tested on my own so far. 

one question i have is what order should i be installing the rtcw patches, i read somewhere that 1.33 full version can be installed if you are using any version lower than 1.32, and another site mentioned 1.41 can be installed if you already have 1.33 installed. the latest one i found was 1.42c, however, it mentions that it features much more HD content, which i am not sure what exactly that means, does that mean that they structurally redesigned the game or is it simply bug fixes / implementations to make the game run better on the same operating systems it always supported, so that windows 95 would still be supported? because there are a lot of HD mods out there but sometimes these can break the game if im not mistaken? the site below is the one with patch 1.42c - 

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/return-castle-wolfenstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement