Advertisement

Purchasing a smart license from GameMaker; any future concerns?

Started by December 30, 2018 07:47 PM
4 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 8 months ago

My biggest worry are two-fold: when using the {A} GameMaker free trial, or temporarily upgrading to "Creator Mac", how will the transition be from those two, for lack of better word, function facilities, to {B} "GameMaker Studio 2 Mobile", where it appears I'll have access to the mobile market; will {A}'s creation be wholly transferred to {B}'s facilities? In addition, what will be my financial forecast post-smart license, i.e. the current $199 investment, as far as marketing my app, or offering features within the app such as a community of online play via 1 v 1 battle matches? Lastly, what are some things to look out for in respect to Apple, Android, and Amazon, but specially Apple, when it comes to putting my app *fingers crossed* into their market, as far as finances or legalities are concerned? 

Ps...as the forum sub-group states, I am indeed a noob when it comes to creating a game, let alone the legal/business side of pushing an application, so if there's anything I should know as I embark on this, please humble me.

On 12/30/2018 at 12:47 PM, TexMex said:

My biggest worry are two-fold: when using the {A} GameMaker free trial, or temporarily upgrading to "Creator Mac", how will the transition be from those two, for lack of better word, function facilities, to {B} "GameMaker Studio 2 Mobile", where it appears I'll have access to the mobile market; will {A}'s creation be wholly transferred to {B}'s facilities?

If you make your game using GameMaker and you have the option to deploy to Mobile, then you'll be fine... I know a few developers on here using GameMaker for iOS development without issues. You can only deploy to the platforms that you have licenses for. If you're concerned about builds breaking when made on the trial pre-purchase of the mobile deployment license, then contact YoYo directly before starting your project.

In addition, what will be my financial forecast post-smart license, i.e. the current $199 investment, as far as marketing my app, or offering features within the app such as a community of online play via 1 v 1 battle matches?

The cost to market is extremely variable, nobody can answer that for you. Test the market, spend a lot of cash, and cross your fingers... Otherwise hire a marketing firm but be prepared to pay. Mobile is also very competitive.

Lastly, what are some things to look out for in respect to Apple, Android, and Amazon, but specially Apple, when it comes to putting my app *fingers crossed* into their market, as far as finances or legalities are concerned? 

Make sure your App meets their requirements and you'll be fine. I've deployed a lot of apps on the Apple Store without issues. Also, check out their requirements for their annual fee. I had to provide corporation information when I did my setup, I cannot remember what else as it was awhile back.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Hey thank you Rutin. I've decided to test the waters under the Unity platform, because it offers a 2D option that can segue into 3D if I decide to go that route. Perhaps there's a separate control mechanism between 2D vs 3D, and may not be as beginner-friendly, but I'd imagine if I'm going to learn how to program a VG, why not learn the hard way, or the relatively more difficult way? Besides, there has to be limitations when interfacing with ready-made commands versus learning how to code those commands? I guess the better question is does it matter that I learn code, because how you execute the game is how you execute it. There have been a handful of games under GameStudio that have found commercial success, despite the non-use of coding. Surely there's more you can do when you manually write a script; or has every possible, or more or less pertinent, command been considered under GameStudio, or even this Unity option to allow pre-made commands for game objects?    

In addition, I should mention that under Unity, I don't see a 2D tutorial. I hope I don't have to unlearn what I sponged under a 3D configuration. I guess it's good to learn 3D first?  

8 hours ago, TexMex said:

In addition, I should mention that under Unity, I don't see a 2D tutorial. I hope I don't have to unlearn what I sponged under a 3D configuration. I guess it's good to learn 3D first?  

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/2d-game-creation

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement