🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Another Linux Question

Started by
3 comments, last by Qoy 24 years, 5 months ago
Is it possible to dual boot with Linux and Windows 98 without re-partitioning the drive? Are any differnt distributions easier to make work this way? Also, I have heard of programs that can repartition drives without reformatting or losing any data. How reliable are these programs?
Advertisement
Yes you can run Linux from the same partition as Windows, though I don''t recommend this. I never tried it but I heard it somewhat more tiresome than installing it using its own partition(s).

Also, if you are looking to repartition you harddrive without loosing any data you might want to take a closer look at Partition Magic - which is capable of that. Its not that expensive, i think.
Supposedly you can do this just fine, since Linux can actually use FAT for a file system... although i''m not positive about FAT32.

My suggestion is to resize your windows partition. the Red Hat distribution comes with a nifty utility that resizes the partition FAST, and i''ve experienced no ill effects. FYI, I LILO dual-boot linux and Windows 98, although linux has no internet connectivity. (and is therefore mostly worthless. I feel so cut off without access to the internet. its sad.)

*oof*
*oof*
There is a linux distribution that runs on your FAT32 partition, and is set up to dual-boot specifically. It''s called Phatlinux. Here''s the link:

http://phatlinux.hypermart.net/

I installed this on my machine a while ago, and it''s great...it even does a lot of automatic hardware setup for you. Now if only I can get my hands on an external modem, so I can go online....hehe
-if only stupidity was painful...
all newer kernels (2.0.35 > i think) will run on FAT32 partitions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement