🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need advice for a female Native American character I'm creating

Started by
42 comments, last by Joseph Al-Tal 5 years, 4 months ago

I thing survivalist expert is better

Advertisement

It be very hard to help this is lacking in detail like is she going to be  old or young, fantasy or sci-fi,  adventure or casual 

No Dream is too big and no Dreamer too small 

Ok, read through everything. 

When I realized you were looking for a native american female badass, my very first thought was Nola Longshadow from the TV series Banshee.

First, This is my favorite Television show. period, hands down. Anyone who watches it will tell you it's violent and bloody and very much a guy's television show.  If anyone takes the time to pay attention to the story. It is absolutely incredible.  My Wife watched the first episode and said, "i don't know if i'm going to be able to watch this."  by the 3rd episode she was hooked. The story overshadows the violence. It is a Showtime exclusive.  I have not seen it available anywhere else.  You may run into trouble finding the show.

Nola is a modern native american woman who was raised on a Reservation. If you are able to watch this show, watch Nola's fighting style. She's a dual-wielder using two hand axes. Fast, capable, deadly, you name it. She swaps to other weapons easily and has knives hidden on her in many places. Only by watching the show are you able to understand her troubled past.  She definitely does not dress stereo-typically and that's important unless your character is modeled after some historical figure, intentionally the reincarnation of ::a native american female::. The show NEVER addresses where she learned her fighting style, you get glimpses of her backstory via brief flashbacks. If a television show never addresses where, then you certainly do not have to. 

I would only expect a native american to be offended if you dressed your character in traditional native american garb.  This day and age Leather jackets, jeans, t-shirts, etc.  They do NOT dress any differently than us immigrants. I would lean toward utility. A fighter is always prepared for anything, doesn't wear restricting clothing, and will destroy any piece of clothing they are wearing if it interferes in their movements. I say this last part for animation effect, just an idea. 

The only indication she is native american at all would be some kind of jewelry piece, a bracelet, necklace (you mentioned this in previous posts), but avoid making it turquoise, too cliche. Actually, nevermind, an idea for ya - Have her NOT have jewelry, and just have some religious reference when she wins a fight, "May your soul rest with the spirit of the earth."  or be more specific to a tribal reference. Skip ANY appearance telling she's native american, have that reflect in her beliefs. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement