🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Customizable 3D Character

Started by
4 comments, last by PedroGomes 5 years, 4 months ago

For a while now I've been searching on ways to create a 3D Character that can be customized ingame in terms of clothing only, using Unity and Blender 2.8.

I've had no luck as I still have no clue on how to go about it.

The imaged that I attached shows what I have so far, the clothes still don't react that well to animations, pretty much still lost on how to approach most of this.

I only have experience with modeling.

Untitled.png

Witch.png

Advertisement

If you wan't to shortcut the dev, check out UMA2 in the assetstore.

It's(free) pretty slick and does all the stuff you are asking about.  Takes a bit of time to wrap your head around though and will  take some time to figure out how to use your own models, but it's a lot of code to write otherwise.  There's a series of videos on how to make it all work too that are pretty in-depth.  I used it for a while in my project and then decide to go the Robot route so I didn't  have to do all the clothing modeling and what-not. ;)

If you don't want to use UMA2, then I would still suggest checking it out for ideas/inspiration, it's open code so you can dissect it all you like.

Best of luck!

Hey Pedro,

I really like your character.

Static items like Hats and Weapons are pretty easy: You've animated your character with a skeletal rig right?  So if you want to equip a hat you can add the hat to the "Skull" bone of the rig.  The should snap the hat onto the character's head.

Dynamic Items like clothes are tougher.  I would export the character's skeletal rig and add it to the clothe's item.  So when the character's leg takes a step then the dress will also take a step.

I know you didn't ask about this, but I think your model is different than the concept.
Regarding the model:
- It's slightly taller than the concept (based on the amount of heads tall).
- The arms and legs are more realistic / less stylized than the concept.
- The torso doesn't taper as much as in the concept.
- The head and hair are less round than in the concept.
If someone asked me to work on this I'd address these things.

About animating clothing, I agree with this from @jbarrios:

5 hours ago, jbarrios said:

I would export the character's skeletal rig and add it to the clothe's item.  So when the character's leg takes a step then the dress will also take a step. 

You might also want to have corrective bones (loose, flying bones parented to the root, which serve to deform the clothing for adjustments) or corrective blendshapes ("shape keys" in Blender), and also have a way in Unity to mask out parts of the character body using a texture -- all that body covered in clothes can be made invisible (you can use a discard / clip shader instruction).
This masking is used on the Sintel rig for Blender by means of the Mask modifier, otherwise the body intersects through the clothing while doing some poses.

Thanks for the tips and as for this last reply, thanks aswell for the tips and about the concept I was the one that did it and it was a quick and dirty thing not much thought put into it, I just ended up thinking it's really cute and wanted to do a more or less similar 3D Model.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement