🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Angelscript Shaders? Post Processing Effects Help!

Started by
4 comments, last by WitchLord 5 years, 4 months ago

Hello again!

This is DrMeowEyes.

I am currently writing a 2D top down game using Angelscript. I am new to Angelscript and wondered if there is a way to post process the screen. I can't find documentation on how to apply a shader to a real time scene using Angelscript. A simple example would be to blur the scene or create a basic lighting system to create soft shadows for objects. Does anyone have some information they can point me to on how to go about creating shaders for post processing affects using Angelscript? Or is there a different way of doing it not using Angelscript? The game is written in Angelscript so I assume I have to use Angelscript to create the shaders. Perhaps not?

Thank you,

DrMeowEyes

Advertisement

Hi, you might be misunderstanding what AngelScript is.
It's a scripting engine that can be given game engine classes and functions, but it's not a game engine in itself.
Out of the box Angelscript has no notion of rendering pipelines or physics systems.
What you're after is some specific integration of AngelScript with specific functionalities exposed to it.
You're better off indicating what game engine you are using in case there are people with knowledge about that entire setup as what you are after would be understanding a specific rendering system or its integration to AngelScript.

Hi MrFloat,

I am a bit lost, I admit! :) I am using an obscure game engine called, "Ethanon". It is a 2D dynamic lighting system with box 2d physics. I was trying to augment the lighting system by looking into writing some shaders for special lighting effects etc. I just don't know where to begin on how to create a shader. I wanted to start relatively simple by just creating a shader that could blur a portion of the game screen, for example. Does anyone have experience with how to write a shader and use Angelscript together somehow? Do people use GLSL? C++? Any hints would be great.

Thank you,

DrMeowEyes

I don't know how this engine works, but it's possible to bind an API to an Angelscript engine that compiles some shaders that it can then use. You'd have to look at the documentation for the engine you're using to figure that out, since there's no standard way to do that in Angelscript.

Looks like the original author of the Ethanon engine is no longer supporting it. But from the sourceforge.net page it looks like it is using GLSL for the shaders, so you probably should be taking a look at those.

Like Miss said. AngelScript is just a scripting engine, so it doesn't by itself provide functionality, it is the engine that uses the script engine that provides the functionality. If the engine doesn't expose ways for the script to apply post processing effects, then you cannot do this from the script without modifying the engine first.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement