Advertisement

Game concept and tools required question

Started by February 16, 2019 02:19 PM
2 comments, last by james340 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi there, brand new to the forum, and have a few questions. I've been meddling with the idea of creating my own game, and finally have the time, money and inspiration to get started. But I need some advice on what I should be using to achieve my dream of creating a game.

Concept
The concept I have is to create a 2D turn-based, top-down space strategy game, in the elk of Space Empires III and IV, but also combining elements I liked from other titles, like StarDrive 2, Stellaris and Distant Worlds. I like the idea of 2D as it means I don't have to worry about creating models, and adds an easy element of mod-ability for myself and others who may play the game. There are loads of elements I'd like to add but need to start with the basics.

What do I need?
First question is 'what is the best programme or programmes to use to realise this dream?'

I'm new to the actual design and programming side of things, so need some pointers on what I need to learn. I know this is a very lofty 'first project', and to be fair, it probably won't be my first project - I'll likely develop loads of other things to learn the basics before getting to the core of what I want to make, but I need to start somewhere.

Elements I need to develop
So, a little more info may be needed on what I'm wanting to achieve. The core of it is a strategy game set in space where you manage an empire of some description, explore the galaxy, colonize worlds and fight other AI/player empires. I envision people designing their ships with Stellaris style simplicity, but one that also allows you to customise your firing arcs, so you could have nearly all your weapons forward (like Klingon's, Shivans, etc) or more balanced. Combat I see as again top-down, but in real time (could be harder than I think, but willing to aim high).

As you can see, I've got an idea of what I want, but no idea how to get there. Any help anyone could provide would be most appreciated! I'm aware of creation tools like Unity, but I'm not sure if that would be the appropriate tool for the job(s). Just a starting point of a programme or programmes to learn or a course someone knows about would be a huge step forward :)

Cheers

James

Technically, your needs are generic (point and click interaction, probably keyboard, rendering layers of assorted animated stuff) and not very demanding (2D, not realtime), so generic tools like Unity and other popular engines should be fine.
Regarding selection of the best one, the only obvious thing that could require an in-depth analysis is how to implement modding with that engine.

Everything else you mention is strictly a game design challenge and you won't need special tools to start thinking about them.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Advertisement

Thanks Lorenzo - I've downloaded Unity and am going through a load of tutorials and such to get my head around the engine.

Looks pretty in-depth, so will likely take a while to truly get to grips with it, but looking forward to the challenge! Thanks again for your help

James

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement