🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Appropriate questions to ask in interview

Started by
13 comments, last by frob 5 years, 4 months ago
16 hours ago, IrfanZ said:

I'm trying to ask questions regarding how their game works.  Would it back fire on me in some way or does it show that I'm interested in the project?

An interview has two purposes: for them to find out if they want to hire you and for you to find out if you want to work there. The second half of that is often neglected or even forgotten entirely. The questions you are at the end are one of your prime opportunities to put them on the spot about whether you want to work for them.

I think the chances that you can ask a question that impresses them so much that you will change a "not hire" into a "hire" decision on their part is basically zero. The decision on whether to hire you or not will be made based on your CV and the earlier, employer-led, part of the interview, so there is little value in trying to come up with questions that will impress them, instead I suggest you use this as a valuable opportunity to ask about the company you may be joining. If they haven't shown you where you will be working, ask about that; if you'll be relocating, ask about the area and whether the company provides any help for finding a place, etc.; ask about their approach to programming, or the way the company structures the day, or child-care issues, or whatever it is that matters to you about a place you're going to work.

Good luck with the interview!

Advertisement

Guys I took a close look at the team members for LootKit Studios from the job posting.  If my interview is with Josh Howard, then according to the following website it shows that he's a software developer and founder himself .  So he knows the programming lingo.  It is a small company comprised of 4 people not including any backers for the project.  The questions that I've posted above are programming questions.  However you guys make a good point that I should focus on the company itself.  I also found on Indeed career advice website this paragraph:

The goal of asking questions in an interview is to determine if the position and the company are a good match for your skill set, career goals and personality. Avoid asking questions with the goal of impressing the interviewer. Instead, focus on those areas where you have a genuine curiosity. Your authenticity will further strengthen your suitability for the job. For example, if you value career growth, ask questions about the typical career trajectory for the position. If you enjoy fast-paced work, ask about the work environment. Save questions about salary and benefits until later on in the hiring process.

The questions that I wrote above are, according to this quote,  were to impress the interviewer.  That is what the article is telling me NOT to do.  I think a much better question might be focused on the role itself.  For example the position is Unity Software Developer.  I'm proficient with Unity,PC, and Android and not so much for IOS.  As I know that Unity can port to different platforms, I should ask if this is what he's looking for.  I also know that he has currently a Unity Developer on the team and he's looking for a second Unity Developer.  So a follow up question is how I can fit into the team?

https://angel.co/loot-kit-studios/jobs

I think the question I'd be asking having looked at their website is 'have they got any money' .. and before attending any interview. Cosmic control was a kickstarter in 2017, and it looks like they have 100+ installs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LootKitStudios.CosmicControl&hl=en_GB

Yeah I know but so far, with my luck, they're the only company that responded back.  Yeah you know my last in person interview was with appliedVR for an Android developer position.  In that interview, I did an outstanding job showing them my stuff and know how.  What happened was that it turns out that I didn't get the job because I didn't have sufficient actual work experience.  If I did they would have hired me on the spot. That's also why I'm not be so picky about jobs.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:58 AM, IrfanZ said:

Would it back fire on me in some way or does it show that I'm interested in the project?

Asking questions about what they did is unlikely to be a problem. It shows interest in the company and shows you have done some homework.  No problems there. Ask it.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:58 AM, IrfanZ said:

they have this game already established for the PC called Cosmic Control.

One game is not a business plan. Go do research on the people and the company itself. What little I see is not encouraging.

In addition to your other questions, you should ask questions to ensure the company will still be around and the paychecks will clear.

Startups are extremely high risk. Usually they are very demanding and there is no support, no backup system. Nearly all of them fail. In the statistically rare cases they don't fail, and if you are in early, there can be great career benefits. 

Before you go to the interview you should do some soul searching and figure out how much you can afford to handle them failing, and make sure you have a plan to not go down too in that situation.  You should also have a plan to help them succeed, and a plan for your own success along with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement