Advertisement

Need some ideas

Started by February 17, 2019 12:19 AM
5 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 5 years, 6 months ago

I've been creating a game for a few weeks now, but as I was creating the map I realized that it was a boring one... The game I'm creating is called Avalon Tales of the Brave, a 2D RPG turn-based game. It is based on the story of King Arthur (but mostly just refers to it) and how a corrupt evil has occurred and it is the player's mission to save the world of Avalon. The images attached are the Title, a few drawing of the characters and a small image of one of the levels of the map. The issue with the map is that there isn't really anything interesting about it. If my game was a side scroller, then it would be no problem, as I could add in obstacles along the way. You see, the way the player plays this game is that in a map, they roam around trying to find a gate that would lead them to the next level. Throughout the map, enemies would be roaming around. If the player comes into contact with the enemy, the player would be transitioned into a scene (image 6) where the player takes turns with the enemy to defeat them. Thus, if the map didn't have enemies, then it has nothing else to offer.

I just need help with some ideas that I could add to make the game more interesting.

Thanks!

Avalon Title.png

Archer1_Original_Post.png

Knight2_Original_Post.png

Tank2_Original_Post.png

Send2.png

CombatMap.png

Maybe , Different Kinds Of Dragons or Elemental Dragons like Enemies

If you Tink Your History Is Going Nowhere, You Should Add A Rival To Challenge Your Character

Advertisement

You could still have obstacles couldn't you (downed pillars, rocks, holes, etc.)? 

You did say you would see enemies wondering around the map as well correct?

I'd definitely build on the quest you already have in place.
It'll give the game more purpose, and will give each monster the player battles more meaning.

Part of any role playing game is a good story to get the player interacting and feeling like they're a part of your game world :)

Items and lootables? Forked areas in the road, where one leads to treasure but is very risky and other progresses through story? How about a crafting system, where you gain crafting components from beating certain enemies, and the craftables are unique weapons or armour, or a key for the gate? How about an RPG levelling system, where using a certain weapon grants skill with that weapon type, and as you play throughout the game enemies get tougher?

I think i'd recommend staying away from the codebase for a while and doing some planning on paper on what exactly you want to do. Try looking into storyboarding.

Terrain can have obstacles and constraints (e.g. follow the winding road to reach the upper portion of the hill), doors or gates of various types (e.g. between a village scene and a castle scene), reachability puzzles (e.g. reaching an island by finding and using a boat or by walking on water with a magical ring). This kind of things would make the space of every map screen more meaningful.

Pokémon games have a rather high density of such features, in addition to plenty of reasons to enter all buildings and roam in otherwise useless areas in order to catch wild pokémon.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement