🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

(SOLVED) Is there a way to make pixel art over a higher resolution image?

Started by
2 comments, last by Prinz Eugn 5 years, 3 months ago

Basically, the idea is as follows: You have an image, a sketch say, and you want to make the pixel art over it, however with the normal pixel art canvas size, so let's say a layer with higher res, and a layer with lower, but both occopuying the same "area" in the software. Is that possible to do? I wondered if I could also do a bigger pixel art, and then scale it down, but for that I would need some kind of pencil that would paint like pixels, even if they were bigger, but with the right space between each one. Hope it made sense. I'm using Krita and Gimp, but other softwares solutions could work too

Ok I solved, used "grid" brush engine on krita

Advertisement

This is the trick isn't it :) 

Coming up with a system that conveys the illusion / style. But wait...not so fast...all the angles of approach from a programmers perspective, deal with a grid of pixels in some respect. Programmers love this as well because of the array of goodness possible. Sky's the limit type stuff if you find the right programmers. There are a lot of those peeps here like that, you can talk to.

Practice your art but know where to go when you want to make it "juicy".(*) 

FYI: You've entered the "poo poo marking posts solved" zone.

(*)juicy : alive, engaging, next level and/or a back hand of happy face, 

If I'm using a sketch or other piece of art as a base, I usually just scale it down to the appropriate pixel size and paint over it, and then have the original to the side as a reference.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement