🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Article 11 and 13 passed

Started by
7 comments, last by Krohm 5 years, 2 months ago

This reminds me so much of the age, where Moscow and USSR was "watching over" my country - now in 2 years the law implementing these articles has to be accepted (because your country apparently can't deny EU legislation on nation level).

I guess it's time for me to consider entering politics and campaign for leaving EU.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Advertisement

For those living out of EU and who aren't interested in the topic (in very short):

Article 13 (Article 17 because politicians renamed it 3 days before voting)

Requires “information society service providers” – user-generated information and content platforms – to use “recognition technologies” to protect against copyright infringement.

Even small websites, or platforms based on open sharing, are required to comply with Article 13.

Moreover, automatic "recognition technologies" will most definitely also block content that is not copyright protected - therefore being censorship tool.

Article 11 (Article 15 due to same reason as above)

Gives large press organizations more control over how their content is shared and linked to online. This could mean that you would need a license to link to content (might even be any content).

Again, small companies and individuals are put at huge disadvantage compared to large corporations.

The actual extent of how much damage this will cause is unknown, as it may depend on how good the law implementation is done by specific member state. From my experience with administrative, if there is any way to abuse law to punish anyone - administrative in my country DOES ALWAYS SO.

It is also possible, any service available in EU (hosted elsewhere) might be required to comply (again, this has to be resolved within 2 years in each member state). This may end up in multiple services and sites simply being blocked for the EU (as we've seen with the GDPR nonsense).

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

I'm in the USA, but we have a bunch of European customers. I ignored gdpr, and I intend on ignoring this as well should I get any request from an EU member. It sounds like it's meant to destroy European startups honestly.

I kind of envy people living in USA, I have already my experience with my country's administrative - and they accept EU regulations in most vague definition possible.

You don't have dozens of new EU regulations implemented in your law every week. The problem is, it is not just politicians who have no idea what given regulations - and their implementations actually say (but who ever heard anything about politicians actually understanding what they are doing) ... but literally nobody here understands them at all, not even responsible administrative or lawyers.

Yet you can get fined for them whenever administrative wishes to get you fined due to vague definitions (If you don't agree with administrative giving you fine - you can go to court AFTER you pay the fine, which can easily be so high that you're unable to pay it at all).

Yes, a clear move to strangle the Startup Economy that's eating away the foundation for Old Business. But I think it'll selfdestruct. Brexit is turning out to be a nightmare, Trump has obliterated international respect for the US, and similar things are happening elsewhere. Old Power is fighting back against its own demise. It'll fail, but the question is, what will it take down with it?? That's what scares me...

Of course, I do have a "in case of emergencies" project to make an alternate web designed along torrenting structures, to circumvent it all. But I have enough on my plate as it is, for once I would like large political moves to take something off that plate, not put more on it. Why do we always have to clean up the politicians' messes?

:(

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

On 3/28/2019 at 2:25 AM, conquestor3 said:

I'm in the USA, but we have a bunch of European customers. I ignored gdpr

picard-facepalm.jpg

I really hope you are working for yourself. If not your employer should fire you immediately.

You do not want to mess with GDPR.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

My employer only serves the USA, deals with top secret info, and has no "end users". My own business (that I was talking about) has 3 employees. It's ridiculous to try and comply with every stupid law made in every country, so I comply with American laws only.

Then again, I collect almost no data anyway other than crash logs (with permission) so I'm probably mostly in compliance.

Excess bureocracy definitely never killed anyone. ?‍♂️

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement