🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3d Studio Max and DirectX

Started by
2 comments, last by squeege 22 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, I''m still very new to programming in C++ (just wrote my first self-written prog tonight, actually but i took the time to download the DirectX SDK because I plan to learn what I can. So, now the question. If I were to model an object in 3DSMAX, is there a way to export that to a file that I can work with in DirectX, or do i have to code-model everything I want? Thx in advance for your help, I appreciate it ~-~Squeege~-~ Stick to it and it will stick to you
~-~Squeege~-~Stick to it and it will stick to you
Advertisement
if you have directxsdk, learn how to use the direct3d componet, in there it allows you to load *.x files which i think max can export, if not just get a free prog that will open 3ds files and save .x files(3d xplorer is one, there are hundreds) or get a max plug that allows .x export
I don''t see any export facility in MAX to direct x, .x files. There is a utility that acompanies direct x SDK. It is very simple to use. Once you develop your model on 3D studio max you export the file to 3ds type. Then you go the a file named conv3ds.exe. If you have your directX SDK installed you may use the file find. it will take you there.
In the same directory where the conv3ds, you will also find a readme file that tells you exactly how you perform the conversion.

Hope this helps
I would love going home to M7, but I can't detect black holes.

DirectX SDK 8.1 provides exporter plugin for 3d studio max 3 and 3dS max 4. Try to find it in the extras section of DirectX SDK download.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement