🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++/Linux which IDE are you using or would you recommend ?

Started by
29 comments, last by rafaelsantana 4 years, 3 months ago

No IDE.  They just get in the way.  Terminal, shell, gvim.

If I had to choose an IDE, Microsoft Code is nicely minimal.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement

If like me, you like Visual C++, then the Netbeans IDE is as close as you can get on Linux.

Since in my day-job I have to modify non-IDE Linux projects, I find it rather usefull that Netbeans supports projects based on Makefiles. ( That way I don't need to impose my IDE preferences on the rest of the team. )

Aside from this, many of the ux metaphores are reminiscent of Ms-VisualStudio and Jetbrains. So if you like you those IDEs you will feel right at home.

The downsides:

* It is a very resource heavy IDE

* GDB integration sometimes crashes (but works most of the time)

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Two rather contrary views :-)

Yeah, some ides hide too much relevant information and behave for too clever with automatisms, wizards and helpers. Eclipse CDT is such an ide imo, that's why i am looking for something else.

Will recheck CodeLite and give Vim a try.

If you're willing to not totally ditch Microsoft and give them a try, there's a feature in Windows 10 that is so underrated most Linux users didn't even hear of it: Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). 

You can have an effectively Linux environment in Windows, without a virtual machine. You can open bash console and that's literally like being on Linux. Any command line linux software can be installed and run; gui software is not officially supported but there's still ways to run it.

Then you can use Visual Studio on Windows and configure it to work with WSL. That way Visual Studio can compile with a Linux OS target and the WSL can run the compiled program; and you have all the benefits of using one of the best c++ IDEs around.

If you go through the process of making gui software work under WSL you can start Windows and use Linux out of it as if you started a Linux os, but you can also run any Windows software, including Visual Studio, without any emulation happening.

Decision fell, for now, i stay with eclipse cdt.

The other suggestions, though most appreciated (Thanks :-)), don't really work equally well for me.

I really like Visual Studio.

None

Visual-studio-code is not very good.

• No customizable windows.
  • Terrible code navigation features.
  • Terrible debugger integration (try browsing the contents of an std::map)
  • etc… etc…

An IDE is not just a text editor with compiler bindings. A good IDE is much much more than that. There is a huge difference between what visual-studio does, and visual-studio-code

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

I had almost forgotten the thread, thanks for all the reply !

I had to pause for 3 months, and I am still with edlipse cdt. Though it is an overblown pile of which i use only a small part, it let's me work with the file system's directory structure directly, my main prerequisite. Easy debugger integration is the other thing I am not really content with everything (bad autocomplete, complicated user interface, bad make/autotools integration).

1 or 2 terminals are open anyway and many linux editors offer terminal integration.

Will have a look again at the biotope of ides in some time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement