🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++/Linux which IDE are you using or would you recommend ?

Started by
29 comments, last by rafaelsantana 4 years, 3 months ago

As far as I know, (don't have the source on hand currently) Unreal is able to generate projects for Code::Blocks and KDevelop so maybe they know what developers want

Advertisement

I don't usually use an IDE (I dislike having tools get in the way of doing productive work) but when I do, I use Microsoft's Visual Studio Code. It's lightweight enough that it starts up in my lifetime and can keep up with my (slow) typing, something that can't be said for any other IDE I've tried. It even has a vi-like set of keybindings.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

VS Code is great for C++.
I've used it on both windows and ubuntu. Intellisense takes some configuring to get working properly, and can be quirky at first. The IDE is clean and feature rich, while performing decently. It's not as heavy as VS for sure, but not as fast as sublime.

E: Just a little more info on what I've used VS Code for and what it's good at;

I've used it for TeX, Python, Ruby, Js, Ts and C++. It's best for Ts, Js and Python IMO.

Still, if you spend some time configuring pretty-printers for gdb, you can get all the neat output you need when debugging, making it easy to view contents of maps and even custom types which should be stringified upon inspection.

It's extensions allow you to do just about anything. My favourite thing about it is that it doesn't add a lot of obscure project files; it's up to you to compile and link your C++ project, and it's encouraged to use your own scripts to accomplish this. I've used VS Code on several projects since 2016. I've also used VS, Code::Blocks, Eclipse and Netbeans as C++ IDEs, but VS Code just strikes that balance of being light and powerful that I enjoy.

VSCode sucks, sorry to say this. Worked with this for projects and it is just a nightmare no matter on what OS it is used. IntelliSense is just a broken mess and does not work well at all on C++, C# and other languages. On JavaScript it sort-of works but only because JS sucks already so if two sucking programs are put together you don't see anymore who sucks more :D . The only plus-side on VSCode is that it can be coded with plugins rather easily. So “theoretically” the crap-iness could be solved by plugins… but for some reason most plugins I've seen pick up the suckiness instead of solving it :/

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

@Green_Baron Interesting, I did not know Code::Blocks was that unstable on Linux. I code with Code::Blocks and sometimes it literally runs for weeks on my project and never crashes. You would think the Linux version would be light and more stable but that seems not to be the case.

I haven't tried for quite some time. Last time i did I two wondered because i had read so much about the IDE, and i have switched Linux versions meanwhile.

It was the same pattern a few times: after a few minutes it first started with not drawing dialogues correctly and not accepting input in dialogues and then was thrown out of memory. Maybe it has to do with an English language installation, German keyboard and UTC timezone ?

Idk.

Standard installation debian buster, that was. It's bullseye now.

Attention, rant :-):

Codeblocks costs time compared to a simple editor call with a new file in a new directory right from the terminal. Frankly, I can't understand how people can productively work with that. There is an incomprehensive “Workspace”, a meaningless “Project”and a virtual folder (whatever that means). When I create a new file it gets smeared into the project folder. When i rename it into its regular folder it is gone and must be re-integrated. In the time I just spent to try just that out I could easily have written a whole class of something including methods, even run it and debugged.

Codeblocks is piffle as long as I cannot work with the directory structure. The documentation is ante-diluvial (there's a manual from version 10 ?) and a search “codeblocks work with directory structure” reveals nothing.

Ok, enough rant, the real reason why i write this is: do you guys know if there is a way to dismiss the workspace and have a directoty tree in that place, with the possiblity to add, delete and rename folders and files and will codeblocks keep track of them ?

Cheers :-)

Green_Baron said:

Attention, rant :-):

Codeblocks costs time compared to a simple editor call with a new file in a new directory right from the terminal. Frankly, I can't understand how people can productively work with that. There is an incomprehensive “Workspace”, a meaningless “Project”and a virtual folder (whatever that means). When I create a new file it gets smeared into the project folder. When i rename it into its regular folder it is gone and must be re-integrated. In the time I just spent to try just that out I could easily have written a whole class of something including methods, even run it and debugged.

Codeblocks is piffle as long as I cannot work with the directory structure. The documentation is ante-diluvial (there's a manual from version 10 ?) and a search “codeblocks work with directory structure” reveals nothing.

Ok, enough rant, the real reason why i write this is: do you guys know if there is a way to dismiss the workspace and have a directoty tree in that place, with the possiblity to add, delete and rename folders and files and will codeblocks keep track of them ?

Cheers :-)

Is that what you're having problems with? If I want a file included in my project workspace I just add it to it from the directory. I see your point but it lets you focus on what's really important as opposed to a mess of files in a directory that has nothing to do with the importance of the project. I have tons of files in my directory but I only see the ones that are important and “Active” in the project, I never really thought it was a problem for some folks.

I wish I could help you here but you seem to be focusing more on what you “can't do” versus trying to find a way to make the features “work for you” use another IDE if it inconveniences you too much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement