🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What to model for practice?

Started by
5 comments, last by ItamarReiner 5 years ago

I am trying to get into 3D modeling, and the tip that keeps popping up is "practice, practice, and practice".  It's a good piece of advice, but I don't know what to practice making.  I know I can't create a full character, but where to start?

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

Advertisement

Why don't you start with a dinner table and chair set? Find an image of a real table set, and try to build out the shape as best you can. Start with something a bit simpler, just to get familiar with move, rotate and scale tools. If you feel like you're comfortable with these tools, move onto playing around with adjusting vertices and adding new edge loops, so you can move those new vertices around. When you have a basic model you kinda like, try your hand at UV unwrapping and texturing. Once you're done, then do it again, and again :) You will begin to see patterns and easier methods to build unique shapes.

Once you really get comfortable with manipulating vertices, then you could dabble in building a character from reference, if only to see what kind of artist you want to be. Character and environment artists work a little bit differently, both wanting to create high-quality products, but may have to worry about different aspects of how their model is going to be used. In any case, your goal should be to model and texture things to completion. By having something completed, you will have something to compare your future models to in order to improve your skill. By doing this over and over again, you will discover new tricks to use on future models.

For other things you can try to model: a couple apartment buildings, a couple vehicles, street lamps, city street, and then you can use these things to set up your own city block to render.

Thanks!  How would I find reference images?  It’s hard to find an orthographic view of an object.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

3 hours ago, Pepsidog said:

Thanks!  How would I find reference images?  It’s hard to find an orthographic view of an object.

Just. Start. Modeling.

You are bikeshedding.  You want to model something, just pick something. Say a fire hydrant. You don't need ortho images, it's not CAD, it's a generic fire hydrant. Look at images on Google.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

1 hour ago, fleabay said:

bikeshedding

Had to look that one up. "Parkinson's Law of Triviality" - wonderful, I love the stuff I learn here!

4 hours ago, Pepsidog said:

How would I find reference images?  It’s hard to find an orthographic view

You have chosen to teach yourself. That can be a lot harder than just taking classes. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 6/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, Pepsidog said:

Check out https://www.the-blueprints.com/ for a wide range of blueprints.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement