🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev.net will be 20 years old on June 15 ?

Started by
44 comments, last by PalAkiAgg 3 years, 5 months ago

I think I joined in 1998? Before the merge ( Game Programmers Megasite and Game Programmers 99). I joined to learn game and graphic programming (demo coding / demo scene). Then I moved on to engines ( of Basic variances, like Dark Basic, Game Basic, etc, 3D RAD). Stick to Game Maker.

Fun times.

Advertisement

I guess i've been around on and off almost since the beginning.. sadly, life has made it so I don't have the time to dedicate to this hobby any more, but one day I hope to be able to use my creativity again in this space. I do love & miss the original theme ?

[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]

I've been around since October 21st of 2001. I was 13 then. I used to visit the boards so much as a teen that my join date is burnt into my mind (it used to be displayed on every post?)

Seeing screenshots of the old theme is making me nostalgic!

@khawk “GameDev.net will be 20 years old on June 15 ?”

I don't remember the topic having a question mark on the end. Regardless, why is there a question mark?

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

After a certain age you start to question things you don't remember well ?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

fleabay said:

@khawk “GameDev.net will be 20 years old on June 15 ?”

I don't remember the topic having a question mark on the end. Regardless, why is there a question mark?

It was an emoji, but I'm not sure why the unicode isn't translated in the new platform.

Admin for GameDev.net.

@khawk

khawk said:

When did you join? What brought you here? Why do you participate?

When did you join?

What brought you here?

If I recall correctly, it was a yahoo search, yeah, that's right, that answered a question I had when I was first learning DirectX.

Why do you participate?

For starters, at the time, it was a real haven for technical questions if you wanted to roll your own engine, which was basically what you did back then when you wanted to make a game.

But the vast majority of my time was spent in the Lounge, sharpening my wit against the likes of Lessbread, Mithrandir, Sean99, and a host of others. I was a really smart, really cocky kid, with almost no exposure to ideas outside my own little world, and here I met people from all over the world with a wide assortment of world views and political opinions. It was insanely fun, and a first class education.

"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat

@Dreddnafious Maelstrom I remember those days. College for me. I'd hit up the Lounge from the library computer lab when my brain started to get fuzzy. Good memories, but I was a bit of a jerk.

I had recently moved away from CompSci, but was still very interested in game design, as an outsider. I got so invested in Wavinator's project, it was like my favorite TV show. I'd log in just to see whether he had a thread going.

I joined in 2005-6 right after finishing grad school and beginning my teaching career. I was pretty unhappy being a teacher and REALLY wanted to work in games. Gamedev.net because a consistent source of inspiration for me as well as education! In 2008 I was asked to become the Music and Sound mod and I've been active ever since. I've sorta slowed down as of late but still really value and love this community!

I was lucky enough to get my first really big break in Oct 2006, working at FUNimation and also did freelancing. I've been in games ever since.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Fun fact: One of the original 8 now does ops for my current start-up! (Which isn't particularly game-related.)

(Also, IIRC, 0603 means June '03, which was when I created this account … Time flies!)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement