🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MMORPG with players face in character build

Started by
6 comments, last by Raizerq 4 years, 10 months ago

Just thinking, isn't it interesting if there is MMORPG game where it have AI that can detect the players face that playing the game and build the character with the same appearance with the player? It like we are in the game itself and there is no people who use opposite gender character where sometime troublesome to others. This idea came from the SAO anime but for that technology like the anime to become reality, it will takes some time. I know that there are VR game that people can play like they are in the game, but they can't create character that have the same appearance like themselves where the feeling will become more real

Advertisement

I personalty like playing anthropomorphic animal characters so it woudn't do much for me.  In general I think a lot of players don't imagine their current self as being in the game.  It's more of a caricature of who they might imagine themselves to be.  I also know there are a lot of guys that often play female characters.  I know one male friend in particular who will literally never play a male character, even when playing table top games! I'm the exact opposite (although one time I did play a champions RPG version of Spiral just because she was my favorite comic book character) . I also know of one woman in our guild that used to play a male character but I think this is more rare.

All that being said I suppose there may by some players that this would appeal to.  I just think it might be limited, but I admit I could be wrong about this.

That's an interesting idea! Would technology like this be possible on a mobile device? Perhaps if the character creation is carried out on the server and the users simply send an image of themselves?

On a similar note, [hijack deleted by moderator]

Most of the time, I wouldn't want my face in a video game. However, If I were playing a marine in a Space Hulk setting, it would be kind of cool to see your friend's faces under the glass helmets. I'd do that.

That said, Deepfake videos have me wondering if it's a bad idea all around. Pretending to be someone else in a video is pretty damaging; pretending to be someone else in a video game could be abused just the same.

Unrelated: Gnollrunner, you might like this guy's art... https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRDR0O

It would be great if it could automatically model your character and then allow you to modify it.

Expanding on this, you could have facial recognition that records your expressions and syncs your lip movements - I think Everquest was doing something similar.

Of the MMO audience that's willing to upload their real face to a bunch of strangers, most already use Second Life.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

On 7/29/2019 at 10:53 AM, Serinox said:

It would be great if it could automatically model your character and then allow you to modify it.

Expanding on this, you could have facial recognition that records your expressions and syncs your lip movements - I think Everquest was doing something similar.

Yeah this is what i think. We can still modify it such as change hairstyle and color maybe by putting scar or tattoo on face like you said. Because for me, that type of game where we can change our job or class like become knight or mage with additional with our face is more exciting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement