🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Design (Noob) Question

Started by
2 comments, last by NoorkNeffes 5 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a student at Open University Netherlands (Educational Sciences). I like gaming and I'm up to a task to design a Serious Educational Game (or mock up of it). I had the following idea and I wanted here to check/ask/verify if this is possible to design. And if that succeeds, how do I do that with which tools, engine ,... and other tips. I have no understanding of programming, but perhaps you had already guessed that?

My idea: I want to create an action/rpg to learn French as a second language (in Belgium). For example, I want features of a rpg in a 2D engine (for example Flare engine), so that the players see their avatar walking around. It would be an online game where players can chat and meet to go on a mission together. This is done in the 2D engine at a starting location. Then the players (single player or multiplayer) can go to a mission location alone or together. This is still happening in 2D. But to limit the system requirements and the size of the game, the missions location tasks would be executed with mini-games (as you can do with Scratch or Quest-text adventures for example). Is it possible to make this combination? If my explanation is not clear, I would like to give more information!

Greetings, Noork

Advertisement
47 minutes ago, NoorkNeffes said:

I had the following idea and I wanted here to check/ask/verify if this is possible to design.

Yes. It's possible to design.

48 minutes ago, NoorkNeffes said:

how do I do that with which tools, engine ,...

That's not design. That's implementation. Entirely different thing!

48 minutes ago, NoorkNeffes said:

Then the players (single player or multiplayer) can go to a mission location alone or together. This is still happening in 2D. But to limit the system requirements and the size of the game, the missions location tasks would be executed with mini-games (as you can do with Scratch or Quest-text adventures for example). Is it possible to make this combination?

Yes. It's possible. 

If you want to know about tools or engines, I recommend you ask that question in the For Beginners forum. Mouse over the Community tab atop this page, mouse over Beginners, then click Beginners Forum. This forum is only for Game Design questions (not tools or engines or how to program).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom, thx for the directions!

Noork

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement