🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The story of my long journey on the path to become a game writer. What ending will i have? I need your advice on that.

Started by
56 comments, last by ChaosEngine 4 years, 11 months ago
1 minute ago, ElvenNeko said:

I can save around 1-2$ per month. And not every month. I don't thin i will ever be able to relocate anywhere, especially concidering that it's pointless now - i still can't walk to the office every day, except if i will be just living there. Being born in another country could only help me to learn English as a native language, but it's too late for that.

Why it's impossible to do solo - i already answered, as well as about all my attempts to find a team. One way to fufill my goal i know, but it's not the time for it yet, for now i will search for the other ones.

Alright. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

You mentioned you don't like IF. Ever thought of making a printed book where you decide for options, and accompanying these multiple options is "go to page N".

On 7/6/2019 at 9:53 AM, ElvenNeko said:

I already said a several times why i chose video games: it is because they allow much more instruments of storytelling than books or movies.

In my opinion this is not exactly true, as I love reading fictional books just as I love RPGs, i'm trying to say if you don't like writing/reading book stories, you won't have a good basis for writing games.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:53 AM, ElvenNeko said:

... if only they ever read it.

Well you were trying this for 10 years, so you need a different plan.

My advice is to practice making stories. Try to sell fictional books. Try signing up to a team when you have a good portfolio. So just ... practice your way into it.

The story of my long journey on the path to become a game writer. What ending will i have? I need your advice on that.

What do you mean by the "ending"?

10 hours ago, Acosix said:

What do you mean by the "ending"?

On 7/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, ElvenNeko said:

I have a different plan, but that's quite a radical solution and will require me to give all what i have left in this life, including the life itself. It will probably work, but  for now, while there is still some time left, i would rather want to look into other options.

So.... You've made critical flaw in your decision making.

There are rpgmaker games on steam worse than the one you made (I'm currently on the wolf quest) that have made several thousand USD

For example https://steamdb.info/app/265870/graphs/

From my experience steamdb is accurate, but it shows keys sold in bulk included as well, so taking the going rate of $1k usd / 10k keys (This is what all bulk buyers have offered me) and going with the lowest possible estimate means they've made around $5k usd.

Releasing your game for free was a mistake since it does have quite a few features I wasn't expecting to see, like lore books/lockpicking mechanics etc.

*EDIT* Even in your steam discussion, people are asking for a paid donation "dlc" item. Why not set that up at least? *EDIT*

I don't think that was a mistake. I would have to remove a few pretty cool songs from the game to sell it. And, what even more important - a lot of people who tired it for free could not have money to buy it.

But let's say that i could made those 5k usd. That's sure a giant sum of money for my country, something that i will earn in 50 years of life total, but on the global scale it ain't that much, because salaries in other countries are much bigger and for them it may take only half of year to earn that much. So i don't think it would be enough to "rent" a development team even for few months, and few months hardly would be enough to make a new game anyway. So since i had no use for those money anyway, i'd rather release game fore free so more players will be able to enjoy it even if they don't have the money.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, ElvenNeko said:

That's a list of lead designer's task, i supose (and some of it are certainly meant for other professions), but what of this junior does?

No, it's a list of all the things a designer may do. A junior could do some or all of those.

Do they spent averagely 70 hours per week on gaming? That all gives more expirience than any theorycrafting.

I'm afraid "I play a lot of games" isn't a job qualification, sorry.

If there were no pc games before - you can count it as a new ip.

No, that's not what IP means. It's about brand recognition and goodwill. It's about interest from the press and from potential audiences.

Kojima, by the way, is a good example of how one act of trust from Konami could change the writer's fate - if they never listened to his ideas just as nobody wants to listen to mine, MGS might as well never exist.

He started at the bottom as a designer - not someone just pitching random ideas from the outside.

That's how a good tech solves a lot of problems you mentioned above - they just made an engine that can handle anything they want to. 

It doesn't solve the problems, just reduces them. Everyone knows that the CD Projekt Red team have had to work ridiculous overtime to get the games out of the door.

You realize that it wasn't even a developer's fault, let alone writer's?

It doesn't matter whose fault it is. What matters is commercial viability.

3 hours ago, Kylotan said:

I'm afraid "I play a lot of games" isn't a job qualification, sorry.

Ha, ha, You don't know how many times I've hear kids claim they are going to parlay their game play experience into some sort of money making endeavor.  I bet it happens on occasion but like becoming a football star, it's probably rare.  And if you consider the time they have spent playing games, mostly it comes out to far below minimum wage except for a select few.

8 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

Ha, ha, You don't know how many times I've hear kids claim they are going to parlay their game play experience into some sort of money making endeavor.  I bet it happens on occasion but like becoming a football star, it's probably rare.  And if you consider the time they have spent playing games, mostly it comes out to far below minimum wage except for a select few.

He doesn't "just play games", he made a pretty damn good free game on steam (with the obvious engine limitations). that takes at least 5 hours to beat.

9 minutes ago, conquestor3 said:

He doesn't "just play games", he made a pretty damn good free game on steam (with the obvious engine limitations). that takes at least 5 hours to beat.

I was specifically responding to the quote. But I'll go father and say that spending excessive amounts of time playing computer games can be highly detrimental to your life and well being.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement