Help with images in a game engine

Started by
8 comments, last by fleabay 5 years, 1 month ago

Hello

I am working with a development tool for the game dying light; i'm making custom maps for steam's workshop.

I got a hold of a road texture from another game. (mad max - hopefully it will be fine to use - its non-commercial, but anyway) i made a road in blender, to use the texture on, and imported it into the developer tools (theese tools use DDS files for textures).

The texture i extracted from mad max, i also imported into the dying light developer tools, and applied it to my road model

It looks like this:

AeP37yz.png

I needed a crossroads, so i made a model in blender and imported into the tools also. for the crossroad texture, i wanted to use the original mad max texture, and made a crossroad texture. then imported the texture into the dev tools:

q1R37Ww.jpg

Now, for the issue; the textures look very different from one another in the tools - when i zoom out.

This is what it looks like:

APwE9IB.png

The straight road texture becomes blurred on zoom out; the crossroads doesn't.

They both have the same material settings in the tools. when importing a custom model, the tools sets the material settings too default, which i left intact and changed only the texture source.

Anyone know if the issue could be with images themselves? some compression of something? both DDS images appear to have the same compression or whatever - i'm not very versed in the more technical aspect of images. both are DirectDraw, DirectX TC, DTX5, with 3bit alpha channel with interpolation:

0FNakGE.png

These are the DDS settings i use in Paint.NET for all textures i've worked with and they all look well to me.

LAu4G8z.png

Noteable is that the crossroads texture is the first texture that i created from scratch (i've imported texture from many other sources, games, websites, etc) but the one i made is the one that's giving me issues, so i think i must be doing something wrong, in photoshop, most likely, i just don't know what.

In Paint.NET i've tried saving the DDS with all 5 mip-map settings:

KLShHmi.png

..and with and without mip maps, as perceptual and uniform error metric.

So i can only assume it's some formating issue in photoshop. i'm not sure.

Could it be Paint.Net is not saving the mipmapping?

Advertisement
43 minutes ago, ricmetal said:

hopefully it will be fine to use

Using stuff you do not have explicit permission to use is not ok.

43 minutes ago, ricmetal said:

(i've imported texture from many other sources, games, websites, etc)

Also not ok, unless you have permission to do so.

EDIT: Don't know the answer to your question, hopefully someone else does. It was worth replying just to state the above, though.

Hello to all my stalkers.

15 minutes ago, Lactose said:

Using stuff you do not have explicit permission to use is not allowed.

Why can't he use textures for personal use from a game he bought?

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

3 minutes ago, fleabay said:

personal use

"Custom maps for Steam Workshop" is not personal use.

Hello to all my stalkers.

2 minutes ago, Lactose said:

"Custom maps for Steam Workshop" is not personal use.

Sorry, I missed that. :)

alright, i might think about getting a free textrue or something. but in case i get this same problem, i hope someone can give me some advice or something. the texture problem is  really hindering my progress.

im in the progress of trying to read dds headers, to see if the mip maps are present in the dds file (if this is correct to say, im a newb regarding more technical stuff)

You should probably seek out a community that actively mods Dying Light.

Programmer and 3D Artist

im afraid i'm already at said comunities.

most maps that come out are...not the best...and the more knowlegable people have either stopped modding the game or are not as technically apt for anything outside slapping meshes together and some basic/medium scripting (not to sh*t on them), i don't think - there might be some other modding forum i can ask.

i thought though i'd ask in a more technical forum because the issue sounds like a problem with the texture and not the game's tools - i could be wrong.

either way, thanks for reading, anyone who does. 

im just exhausting everything i can think of.

2 hours ago, ricmetal said:

im just exhausting everything i can think of.

Most likely it's a Gaussian filter getting applied somewhere and maybe some issue with the interpolated alpha.

Don't generate Mipmaps till you get it sorted. That just adds another level of complexity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement