🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

use texture larger than GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE

Started by
3 comments, last by Green_Baron 4 years, 9 months ago

How to load and bind a texture larger than GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE for sampling,when I bind a texture larger than GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE,an invalid texture dimmension error occured,but I think it's possible because photoshop can handle this image,any advice?

Advertisement

Which undertaking needs a texture of >16k to be completely in memory ?

Photoshop and GIMP work with huge images by loading them as a number of smaller tiles; something configurable but on the order of 256px² each.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

Yep, and i think they are as well limited to memory sizes, like 4GB or so, which would be an RGB image of around 30.000/30.000. Also, users of GIMP or PS accept long waiting times for operations to execute. Like, hours ? ? The latest graphics cards are actually better than that (32k textures), but be prepared to stand by for loading times.

Anyway, the answer is no, for texture lookups, one cannot use textures larger then max texture size.

Is this about large terrain, or rather image processing ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement