🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What's your opinion on story centric games?

Started by
4 comments, last by Finalspace 4 years, 9 months ago

What are your opinion on story-centric games where game mechanic is almost non existent? The games that I am talking about are TellTale Games, To The Moon, Until Dawn, Man of Medan, etc.

Personally, I think they're enjoyable when you are watching someone else play it but they bore the heck out of me when I am the one playing it.

Advertisement

Personally, I think they're enjoyable to play, but watching someone else play one would bore the heck out of me.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1 hour ago, spyroboss said:

Ok, i think that after one of the dev's death NitW should be represented as well. Story-based games are the one that rules the whole industry all time.

I've found a few recent (first) posts of yours on the net that embed that website as a hyperlink. Are you backlink spamming? Just wondering...

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

They're a better way to tell stories than TV, but they're ultimately only as good as their story.

I liked To the Moon quite a lot.  Actually I've enjoyed just about everything from Freebird Games, including their older, lesser-known titles.

I played one episode of The Walking Dead.  It was alright, but if it were a TV series, I would never have made it through an entire episode.  The whole zombie apocalypse cliché doesn't appeal to me, and none of the characters gave me any reason to care about them.

I wholeheartedly oppose story-centric gaming.  When I play a game, I'm there to interact with something, and when I'm being told a story, I'm not interacting.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

I found 2015 by accident life is strange and was blown away by it. Since then, i am loving story centric gaming - especially if my choices has consequences. The best game in that region is "Beyond Two Souls" - i never enjoyed any game so much, as this one. So my oppion about this is simple: Interaction and Story-Telling at the same time works just fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement