🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is F.E.A.R's "STRIPS" based AI "Planning" Still revelant today?

Started by
2 comments, last by IADaveMark 4 years, 8 months ago

First, I'm inexperienced, still in the beginning phase of learning C# before I even attempt C++ so excuse my naivety.

I was reading some great articles, pitches, and research papers written by AAA game devs who made golden year games around 2002-20011,

I found this paper on F.E.A.R's AI system to be quite an interesting read! I was wondering if somebody could give a quick weigh in on how this relevant this is today

Thank you for your time.

P.S. (check out the Diablo 1 proposal if your bored, that was quite the trip)

Advertisement

Sorry I guess the hyperlink didn't go through?

https://www.gamedevs.org/uploads/three-states-plan-ai-of-fear.pdf

EDIT: also not sure why I can edit this comment, yet not my original post. Sorry for the double post.

Not really for standard behavioral AI. The problem is primarily that it doesn't scale well as you add more potential actions with objects. The search space explodes geometrically as you add more things to do. Also -- and likely worse -- you have to re-plan anytime anything in the state space changes and invalidates one of your nodes. So not only do you have huge search times, most of that is going to get thrown away on many of your think cycles.

Now multiply that across a lot of agents.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement