🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to turn off the partial WYSIWYG while posting?

Started by
14 comments, last by Endurion 4 years, 4 months ago

How can I turn off the partial WYSIWYG functionality in the new/edit post input box? It's the worst. Sometimes you can't remove extra lines. Editing the quotes is a nightmare. I just want to get down to text level and make changes to the BBCode. I'm sure there is a way to do this but I can't find it.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Advertisement

Not possible right now. The forum isn't run on bbcode formatting, so bbcode isn't really an option. Source editing has been considered, but that introduces security risks.

There's a big platform changing coming though (within days), with an editor change that allows for WYSIWYG markdown editing. It won't be perfect, but we'll have a better baseline for a better editor and allow the option for pure text editing (markdown, perhaps) for those who don't want the WYSIWYG style editor.

Admin for GameDev.net.

1 hour ago, khawk said:

There's a big platform changing coming though (within days)

A platform change (for the worse) mostly killed CGSociety. I hope this one fairs better. Are you moving away from Invision? BTW, I didn't know about the "touchy subject of BBCode" (quoted from their site) with Invision until I searched it just now.

15 minutes ago, fleabay said:

A platform change (for the worse) mostly killed CGSociety. I hope this one fairs better. Are you moving away from Invision?

Yes, moving away from Invision. New, custom platform intended to provide a better foundation for what GDNet is intended to provide for a gamedev community.

It's not the first time GDNet has gone through a platform change in its 20 years, and this one certainly has its own risks, but to most members it will look like a theme upgrade until they start digging in further. There will be a couple smaller utility things missing initially, and of course I'm sure there will be some bugs here and there, but the new platform in testing is working well so it's time to go live. 

Some members (and mods+staff) have had preview access to developer builds, so I'm sure they can share their thoughts on it if they're inclined. Hoping to have a blog post or two with more details in the coming days.

Admin for GameDev.net.

30 minutes ago, khawk said:

New, custom platform...

I once entertained the idea of creating a similar platform for my website but after watching a couple of Troy Hunt courses I began to have security nightmares and ditched the idea. Just saying as a heads up...

I'm pretty sure the site's been on custom platforms for longer than it's been on stock systems. 

Every transition is tricky and has risks, but as he wrote, this isn't the first time around the block. I think this marks major transition #6 or #7. It's much higher if you start trying to guess what makes a minor transition.

The real question will come with what happens during the transition.  Will we have one that is invisible to most people? Or will this involve calling out the ninja attack monkeys, or enable lounge-lizards an opportunity to take a break from posting?  Only time will tell.

I've noticed a few issues with the text editor myself, and I think it would be helpful if there was some kind of source that could be edited as plain text.

As an example, look at my post at https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/705122-bad-performance-with-multi-threading-overhead-of-thread-creation/5418638/

I've just noticed that one of the links in there has a . appended to the URL, which breaks it. In addition, I just tried to edit it, and it seems that any edits I make don't save properly. On top of that, if I left click on the broken link in edit mode, it incorrectly shows that it links to the correct URL...

I also noticed that undo seems to be broken. For example, try pasting in a URL, pressing space, and then typing in a bit more text, and then pressing Control+Z a few times. I'm seeing that the text typed in after pressing space comes out blue and underlined as if it's part of the URL, and undoing doesn't get me back to the original state.

Adam_42 said:
I've noticed a few issues with the text editor myself, and I think it would be helpful if there was some kind of source that could be edited as plain text.

The editor is definitely not where I'd like it to be. I think it makes some things better than before but lacks in other ways. Considering alternatives, including a setting to allow you to select your default editor (text only included).

Adam_42 said:
In addition, I just tried to edit it, and it seems that any edits I make don't save properly.

A fix for this is coming. Probably will get through the build process and be live in ~30 minutes from this post.

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:
source editing has been considered, but that introduces security risks.

If adding a source view to the editor introduces security issues then those issues already exist.

Validation must be done on the server-side to be secure, which means it doesn't matter if the source is provided by the client via this useless WYSIWYG or by editing it as text.

boughtonp said:

khawk said:
source editing has been considered, but that introduces security risks.

If adding a source view to the editor introduces security issues then those issues already exist.

Validation must be done on the server-side to be secure, which means it doesn't matter if the source is provided by the client via this useless WYSIWYG or by editing it as text.

It is done server-side. This topic was created on the previous platform, which also had SS validation, but as a proprietary software solution would have been more difficult to support source editing.

I don't know if source editing will be allowed in the future, but markdown and other options are being considered as alternatives to this editor, allowing members to configure GDNet with the editor of their choice.

Personally, I don't understand the hate toward the editor. It's simple and straightforward WYSIWYG with markdown formatting that allows for the things we care about here: source code, images, LaTex, media embeds, etc.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement