🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do my Teamates work with me?

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 4 years, 5 months ago

So guys, as you know, i'm currently working on a third person shooter, using Ue4 ( 4.22 specifically), so my friends at college who also use Ue4 decided to help. Naturally we would set up a remote git repository for us to work at home during the holidays, but the problem arose, the file size for the projects (without extra assets are huge), and we have very limited bandwidth here, if it was Godot it wouldn't be a problem.

So does anyone know a way for us to solve this issue, i appreciate your responses.

Advertisement

vicodescity said:
we have very limited bandwidth here

Where is here? If it is in university, you can work on a portable drive and sync it to your git if you're at home but if you mean that your home bandwitch is very small, then you are screwed, sorry!

Git is not made for compressing files and so isn't Unreal. Git works best with text files or files that are easily diffable, this isn't the case for binary files like assets. Unreal dosen't compress as far as I know too so, workj with it

Shaarigan said:
Git works best with text files or files that are easily diffable, this isn't the case for binary files like assets. Unreal dosen't compress as far as I know too so, workj with it

THIS so much.

Use the right tools for the job.

Distributed version control systems like Git make a copy of the entire history on every machine. For most games this is often a terrible choice, unless they are extremely light on assets. Some 2D style games can do it, as long as there are few iterations of graphics and audio, which tend to consume the most space.

Some version control systems also hog space. SVN is popular because it is free, but it also consumes about 50% extra space for a moderately-compressed clean copy in addition to the real copy. Not so bad for a 100MB game, but a horrible choice when a game's assets reach double-digit or triple-digit gigabytes.

Unreal's decision to keep their uasset files as binary, even though they are mostly XML internally, further complicates matters.

Inside the industry Perforce is the standard version control in games, and in several other asset-heavy industries. It is free for up to 5 users. It does require setting up a server somewhere, but the bandwidth requirements tend to be better than alternatives, especially since you can configure it to compress everything across the wire.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement