🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

PS5 and Xbox Series X Technical Comparison

Started by
1 comment, last by JoeJ 4 years, 3 months ago

So the specs for both the PS5 and Xbox Series X have dropped. After looking at the technical comparisons here:

https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/playstation-5-vs-xbox-series-x-comparing-the-specs/

They both seem to be very similar. The Xbox seems to be slightly more powerful in some ways than the PS5, but it seems like there's not going to be much of a difference that really is perceptible.

Generally I wonder how much more graphics are going to change going forward. How will the gaming experience change going forward with this new hardware? What are your thoughts?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

I think the SSD allows streaming of unlimited details, and soon we'll find out storage space is the real limitation, not storage speed. Or we just stick at repetive textures and models. (hard to get rid of sarcastic tone, but i'm serious)
I see a increasing need for work on compression and procedural generation ahead.

I also think true photorealism becomes possible. I work on realtime GI since forever. It can do unlimited bounces and give a good approximation of global light transport, but lacks high frequency details like hard shadows and sharp reflections.
Exactly the things RT can handle well. Combining both should do it.

I also hope RT can replace shadow maps in general. At some point stochastic RT becomes faster than rendering n SMs per frame. I hope we are at this point already. Otherwise RT is more a gimmick still.

And the most i hope AMDs RT is more flexible than RTX. I want stochastic LOD which requires programmable traversal. AMDs TMU patent hints this as possible, and DXR lists traversal shaders as potentially upcoming feature.
Give it to me, also on PC please. Otherwise RT won't scale well and it remains a gimmick.

But that's just my subjective gfx interests.
Without doubt the stronger CPUs will allow a leap forwards. I hope this helps with better games as well.
SSDs pushing the open world boredom even further alone won't convince me as a gamer.
I want more believable worlds. More simulation, less smoke and mirrors and less facades.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement